GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Jewfro's NA Miata

JewFro

Ready to race!
Ended the shitty start to yesterday with an almost equally shitty end. After the heater hose fiasco I was 2hrs late for work and in general flustered so having said that I left the parking lights on all day which killed the battery. Since I stayed really late at work there was virtually no one there when I left so luckily one of my coworkers swung back and gave me a jump. The battery didn't seem to want to hold a charge after that and being a West Co. I'd heard you can brick them if you totally drain them (my dad did it to the last battery) but after a night on the charger it seemed fine today.

UPS was kind enough to drop off the rest of the exhaust. Racing beat power pulse system. So far their products have really impressed me. Everything is extremely well made and fits flawlessly. The only complaint I have is its actually a bit quiet but still sounds great. You'd never know the car also had a header and high flow cat so hopefully it gets a bit more character to it over time otherwise it might be time for a straight pipe or non resonated mid-pipe. It'd definitely be the Plac approved Miata exhaust :)

Also cleaned all the coolant out of the engine bay. Ignore the zip tie intake mount, I just wanted to get the filter on there to hear what it sounded like and am mocking up a heatshield and maf mount this weekend.

Clancy, the neighbors dog, always comes out to hang when I'm wrenching

Last edited:

JewFro

Ready to race!
Nice Montego man!

That is exactly what this one looked like when my dad brought it home 16 years ago. Steelies with trim rings and all. Do you have any plans for yours?

Stocktastic1

Go Kart Champion
Oh yeah!

Coils
Wheels
Rollbar
Exhaust
R-package lips
H4 conversion
Etc

JewFro

Ready to race!
Haha the usual right? :)

Are you going more for functional or a "hard parker". Half the threads on CR.net are "raceland this raceland that omg the lowz". Low is great but I'm not into bashing the frame rails against every small bump. People have set off their airbags doing that.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
You guys with your Miatas on here are killing me. I love reading about them and am starting to want one a little bit too much.

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
You guys with your Miatas on here are killing me. I love reading about them and am starting to want one a little bit too much.

You're not alone. I've always wanted a miata to play with but I found a FC rx7 vert locally for $2500 or less that I have my eye on now. They're gonna have to put a non-vw build thread section on the forum soon.

Eff you Jewfro!

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
You're not alone. I've always wanted a miata to play with but I found a FC rx7 vert locally for $2500 or less that I have my eye on now. They're gonna have to put a non-vw build thread section on the forum soon.

Eff you Jewfro!

I know, bastard. I agree on a non-VW build section. My GTI is staying stock but I like posting here and will be modding something else eventually.

Good luck with the FC vert, kinda ugly, but those were definitely sweet rides. I'd take an FD haha.

Stocktastic1

Go Kart Champion
I'm more of a function>form guy.

But there will definitely be some form in there somewhere.

I've got a set of BBS RAs out back that I need to finish.

I've got to say box stock, like mine is is, still a damn good time. It's like driving a pissed off go kart.

JewFro

Ready to race!
I'm more of a function>form guy.

But there will definitely be some form in there somewhere.

I've got a set of BBS RAs out back that I need to finish.

I've got to say box stock, like mine is is, still a damn good time. It's like driving a pissed off go kart.

Agreed, we probably should have a non-vw build section for member's random projects whether it be cars, boats, bikes, sleds, etc... ClubRoader.net has an extensive non-miata build section.

Its amazing how much fun you can have with such little power. Even bone stock the car put a smile on my face so much more than the GTI did. Its also funny how much body roll they have stock but are still so balanced. The suspension just takes a laughably hunched stance in a corner put holds on beautifully.

The RA's should look great man, almost OEM+ like the 15" BBS on the later M-editions. I've got my eyes on some 15x8 Enkei Apache II's but will likely be rolling on a set of 16x8 Gotti's for H2oi.

You should try a Racing Beat front tubular sway bar. $160 you won't regret spending.

Raddo, pick up that Rotary man! The verts are neat cars

Stocktastic1

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, my only gripe with the RAs is the fact that they're 15x6 et35.

I'm going to run at least a 20mm spacer, but I really want to find a pair of 15x7 et13 BMW spec RAs.

I'm also going with Megan Racing EZ Street Coils.

JewFro

Ready to race!
Let me know how you like them. Seems like the consensus is they're a great street coil for the price but a bit soft for track use.

I'm still waiting for Fortune Auto to build/ship my coils... its been a month now. Same goes with the roll bar :mad:

Stocktastic1

Go Kart Champion
Let me know how you like them. Seems like the consensus is they're a great street coil for the price but a bit soft for track use.

I'm still waiting for Fortune Auto to build/ship my coils... its been a month now. Same goes with the roll bar :mad:

8k/6k rates for the EZ Streets, but the dampers can handle +/- 2k each way. Streets are 10k/8k I believe, so if it was something that was an issue, I can always change springs. It'll probably never see anything more than the occasional autox anyway. For $620 shipped I can't complain.

I'm probably going to have a local guy (Overrev Fabrication) build my bar. It's a little bit more than say, a Hard Dog, but it supports the local shop, which is always a good thing.

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
I know, bastard. I agree on a non-VW build section. My GTI is staying stock but I like posting here and will be modding something else eventually.

Good luck with the FC vert, kinda ugly, but those were definitely sweet rides. I'd take an FD haha.

Best friend owns a FD so I can drive it whenever I want to. I've always ha a thing for always cars. That's why I drive a hatch :)