GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Let's see your PC's

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
That would explain it. All of mine have been more traditional LCD.
I have a OLED TV that's over 2 years old with no issues, but it's a 2nd monitor to my PC and I don't leave any windows open on that screen when I'm not using it. Anytime you've got a static image that's always on screen you've got to worry about burn in. I'd bet the task bar is the most common thing to burn in on OLED monitors being used with PCs.

They say the new OLEDs don't burn in as fast, but I think it can still be luck of the draw. Plus there's supposed to be some tech built into the screen that helps restore it and slows down the burn in process. My TV is constantly reminding me to shut it down for 5 minutes so it can do a screen restore.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
This seems like a bad model of monitor/panel if it burns in so easily 🤷‍♂️ I have never seen anything like this on my Dells (U2412M) or Samsungs (G52A) I've used for the past 15 years.

It's a problem with OLED screens.

I keep ordering shit for my new pc. Now I've got a 2nd 2tb ssd on the way along with another 32gb of ram. Not much longer until I can put this thing together.

Yep, that's just it. OLED. Looks great, but sensitive. I underestimated how sensitive lol. It has a "Pixel Refresh" thing that's supposed to run every 4 hours (takes about 5 minutes), and a "Panel Refresh" that's however often, which takes an hour or so.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Yep, that's just it. OLED. Looks great, but sensitive. I underestimated how sensitive lol. It has a "Pixel Refresh" thing that's supposed to run every 4 hours (takes about 5 minutes), and a "Panel Refresh" that's however often, which takes an hour or so.
If I didn't buy a monitor not long before I got my OLED tv I think I would have done an OLED monitor too. I've got an alienware also, but it's the IPS version. I wasn't graced with OLEDs picture at that time.

1st Gen

Passed Driver's Ed
You
Hello Professor, Synapse

ChatGPT
🧙🏾‍♂️: Greetings! I am Professor Synapse, at your service. How may I assist you today? What are your goals or inquiries that you seek help with? Let's start by understanding your needs. 🌟

You
I want to build a computer using a Ryzen 7 5800x CPU. Can you help me with the rest of the build. Everything needs to be compatible.

ChatGPT
🧙🏾‍♂️: Absolutely! Building a computer with a Ryzen 7 5800X CPU is an exciting project. To ensure compatibility and optimal performance, we need to consider several components: motherboard, RAM, storage, power supply, cooling system, and a case. Let's clarify a few details first:
  1. What is your primary use for this computer? (Gaming, professional work, general use, etc.)
  2. Do you have a preference for the size of the build (e.g., ATX, Micro-ATX)?
  3. Is there a specific budget range you're aiming for?
  4. Do you need recommendations for peripherals like a monitor, keyboard, and mouse?
  5. Are there any specific features or aesthetics you're looking for in your build?
Once I have this information, I can initialize a Synapse CoR to meticulously select each component. 🛠️

You
This is going to be our home computer. It will be used for gaming and business, both. As for size, I don't see the need for it to be a formal ATX forma factor. That's just not necessary, and we don't need peripherals. Just what's in the tower will be just fine. CPU, Mobo, Ram, M.2, PSU, and case.

ChatGPT
🧙🏾‍♂️: Great! You're looking for a balanced build that caters to both gaming and business needs, not restricted to the full ATX form factor, and focused on the core components within the tower. Let's start putting together a compatible and efficient build around your Ryzen 7 5800X CPU.
Synapse_CoR = 🔧: I am an expert in computer hardware and system builds. I know the requirements for a gaming and business computer using a Ryzen 7 5800X CPU. I will reason step-by-step to determine the best course of action to achieve a balanced, efficient, and compatible build. I can use my knowledge of computer hardware and current market trends to help in this process.
I will help you accomplish your goal by following these steps:
  1. Select a compatible motherboard.
  2. Choose suitable RAM for optimal performance.
  3. Recommend an M.2 SSD for storage.
  4. Determine an appropriate power supply unit (PSU).
  5. Suggest a case that fits these components and your preferences.
  6. Provide a summary of the selected components for final confirmation.
My task ends when we have a complete list of components for your build.
🔧: First step, let's select a motherboard. For the Ryzen 7 5800X, a B550 or X570 chipset motherboard would be ideal for balancing cost and performance. Do you have any brand preferences or specific features you want in a motherboard (like WiFi, number of USB ports, etc.)?

You
Current Wifi and USB standards would be preferred. A 550 Chipset would be find I guess, as long as the SSD drive is not bottlenecked.

ChatGPT
🧙🏾‍♂️: Excellent choice! A B550 chipset motherboard with current WiFi and USB standards will serve your needs well without bottlenecking your SSD. It offers a good balance of features and value, especially for a Ryzen 7 5800X CPU.
🔧: Now, I'll select a motherboard that meets these criteria. Here's a recommended option:
  1. Motherboard: A B550 motherboard with WiFi 6 support and ample USB 3.2 ports for connectivity. A model like the ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (Wi-Fi) would be a great fit. It offers robust performance, good heat dissipation, and has received positive reviews for reliability and build quality.
Next, let's move on to the RAM. For gaming and business tasks, 16GB is typically sufficient, but 32GB can offer more future-proofing and smoother multitasking.
  1. RAM: A kit of 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 RAM, with speeds around 3200MHz to 3600MHz, would complement your Ryzen 7 5800X well. A kit like the Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz is a reliable choice, offering a good balance between performance and price.
For the M.2 SSD, considering the capabilities of the B550 motherboard, a PCIe Gen3 or Gen4 SSD would work well without any bottlenecks.
  1. M.2 SSD: A 1TB NVMe PCIe Gen4 M.2 SSD like the Samsung 980 PRO or the WD Black SN850 would provide fast boot and load times. These drives are known for their speed and reliability, which is essential for both gaming and business applications.
Now, for the power supply unit (PSU):
  1. PSU: A 650W to 750W power supply unit would be more than sufficient for your build. Look for an 80+ Gold certified PSU for efficiency and reliability, such as the Seasonic Focus GX-750 or the Corsair RM750x.
Finally, the case:
  1. Case: Since size is not a primary concern, a mid-tower case with good airflow would be ideal. The Fractal Design Meshify C or the NZXT H510 are both excellent choices. They offer great airflow, cable management, and have a modern aesthetic.
🔧: How does this initial selection sound to you? Would you like any adjustments or additional details on any of these components?

You
Oh, and I do need a GPU.

ChatGPT
🧙🏾‍♂️: Absolutely, a Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) is crucial, especially for gaming and any graphics-intensive tasks in your business applications. The choice of GPU will depend on the games you plan to play, the resolution you aim to play at, and your budget.
🔧: Considering the Ryzen 7 5800X and the rest of your build, here are a couple of GPU options to consider:
  1. Mid-Range Option: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti or AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT. These GPUs offer excellent performance for 1080p and 1440p gaming, and are suitable for most current games with high settings.
  2. High-End Option: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 or AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT. If your budget allows, these cards provide top-tier performance for 1440p and even 4K gaming, along with ray tracing support.
Both options are compatible with the rest of your build and should not bottleneck with your Ryzen 7 5800X CPU. The RTX 3060 Ti and RX 6700 XT are more budget-friendly, while the RTX 3080 and RX 6800 XT offer higher performance at a higher cost.
🔧: Would you like to explore one of these options further, or do you have a different preference in mind for your GPU? Additionally, if you have any specific gaming or graphical requirements, do let me know to tailor the recommendation more closely to your needs. 🎮💼

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
User

You
Hello Professor, Synapse

ChatGPT
🧙🏾‍♂️: Greetings! I am Professor Synapse, at your service. How may I assist you today? What are your goals or inquiries that you seek help with? Let's start by understanding your needs. 🌟

User

You
I want to build a computer using a Ryzen 7 5800x CPU. Can you help me with the rest of the build. Everything needs to be compatible.

ChatGPT
🧙🏾‍♂️: Absolutely! Building a computer with a Ryzen 7 5800X CPU is an exciting project. To ensure compatibility and optimal performance, we need to consider several components: motherboard, RAM, storage, power supply, cooling system, and a case. Let's clarify a few details first:
  1. What is your primary use for this computer? (Gaming, professional work, general use, etc.)
  2. Do you have a preference for the size of the build (e.g., ATX, Micro-ATX)?
  3. Is there a specific budget range you're aiming for?
  4. Do you need recommendations for peripherals like a monitor, keyboard, and mouse?
  5. Are there any specific features or aesthetics you're looking for in your build?
Once I have this information, I can initialize a Synapse CoR to meticulously select each component. 🛠️

User

You
This is going to be our home computer. It will be used for gaming and business, both. As for size, I don't see the need for it to be a formal ATX forma factor. That's just not necessary, and we don't need peripherals. Just what's in the tower will be just fine. CPU, Mobo, Ram, M.2, PSU, and case.

ChatGPT
🧙🏾‍♂️: Great! You're looking for a balanced build that caters to both gaming and business needs, not restricted to the full ATX form factor, and focused on the core components within the tower. Let's start putting together a compatible and efficient build around your Ryzen 7 5800X CPU.
Synapse_CoR = 🔧: I am an expert in computer hardware and system builds. I know the requirements for a gaming and business computer using a Ryzen 7 5800X CPU. I will reason step-by-step to determine the best course of action to achieve a balanced, efficient, and compatible build. I can use my knowledge of computer hardware and current market trends to help in this process.
I will help you accomplish your goal by following these steps:
  1. Select a compatible motherboard.
  2. Choose suitable RAM for optimal performance.
  3. Recommend an M.2 SSD for storage.
  4. Determine an appropriate power supply unit (PSU).
  5. Suggest a case that fits these components and your preferences.
  6. Provide a summary of the selected components for final confirmation.
My task ends when we have a complete list of components for your build.
🔧: First step, let's select a motherboard. For the Ryzen 7 5800X, a B550 or X570 chipset motherboard would be ideal for balancing cost and performance. Do you have any brand preferences or specific features you want in a motherboard (like WiFi, number of USB ports, etc.)?

User

You
Current Wifi and USB standards would be preferred. A 550 Chipset would be find I guess, as long as the SSD drive is not bottlenecked.

ChatGPT
🧙🏾‍♂️: Excellent choice! A B550 chipset motherboard with current WiFi and USB standards will serve your needs well without bottlenecking your SSD. It offers a good balance of features and value, especially for a Ryzen 7 5800X CPU.
🔧: Now, I'll select a motherboard that meets these criteria. Here's a recommended option:
  1. Motherboard: A B550 motherboard with WiFi 6 support and ample USB 3.2 ports for connectivity. A model like the ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (Wi-Fi) would be a great fit. It offers robust performance, good heat dissipation, and has received positive reviews for reliability and build quality.
Next, let's move on to the RAM. For gaming and business tasks, 16GB is typically sufficient, but 32GB can offer more future-proofing and smoother multitasking.
  1. RAM: A kit of 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 RAM, with speeds around 3200MHz to 3600MHz, would complement your Ryzen 7 5800X well. A kit like the Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz is a reliable choice, offering a good balance between performance and price.
For the M.2 SSD, considering the capabilities of the B550 motherboard, a PCIe Gen3 or Gen4 SSD would work well without any bottlenecks.
  1. M.2 SSD: A 1TB NVMe PCIe Gen4 M.2 SSD like the Samsung 980 PRO or the WD Black SN850 would provide fast boot and load times. These drives are known for their speed and reliability, which is essential for both gaming and business applications.
Now, for the power supply unit (PSU):
  1. PSU: A 650W to 750W power supply unit would be more than sufficient for your build. Look for an 80+ Gold certified PSU for efficiency and reliability, such as the Seasonic Focus GX-750 or the Corsair RM750x.
Finally, the case:
  1. Case: Since size is not a primary concern, a mid-tower case with good airflow would be ideal. The Fractal Design Meshify C or the NZXT H510 are both excellent choices. They offer great airflow, cable management, and have a modern aesthetic.
🔧: How does this initial selection sound to you? Would you like any adjustments or additional details on any of these components?

User

You
Oh, and I do need a GPU.

ChatGPT
🧙🏾‍♂️: Absolutely, a Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) is crucial, especially for gaming and any graphics-intensive tasks in your business applications. The choice of GPU will depend on the games you plan to play, the resolution you aim to play at, and your budget.
🔧: Considering the Ryzen 7 5800X and the rest of your build, here are a couple of GPU options to consider:
  1. Mid-Range Option: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti or AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT. These GPUs offer excellent performance for 1080p and 1440p gaming, and are suitable for most current games with high settings.
  2. High-End Option: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 or AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT. If your budget allows, these cards provide top-tier performance for 1440p and even 4K gaming, along with ray tracing support.
Both options are compatible with the rest of your build and should not bottleneck with your Ryzen 7 5800X CPU. The RTX 3060 Ti and RX 6700 XT are more budget-friendly, while the RTX 3080 and RX 6800 XT offer higher performance at a higher cost.
🔧: Would you like to explore one of these options further, or do you have a different preference in mind for your GPU? Additionally, if you have any specific gaming or graphical requirements, do let me know to tailor the recommendation more closely to your needs. 🎮💼

I was about to report this as spam :ROFLMAO:

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Well this is annoying, maybe. Something was going on with my battery backup last night. It was ticking every few seconds like it was going back and forth between battery power and power from the wall. It stopped after I shut everything down, unplugged it from the wall, and turned everything back on again. The batteries still show a full charge so those are good.

After spending all this money and being so close to building the new pc I might have to spend another $200ish. 1500VA backups aren't $120 like I remember them being. Now they're all $180-220.

I think I'm gonna leave it alone for now and see what happens. I expect I'll need to get a new one here pretty soon though.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I think the backup died. I can't connect to my ring doorbell anymore. The modem and router is plugged into that backup.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Womp womp

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Womp womp
It's so annoying. lol

I'll have to see what's going on when I get home. It's still working as the ring is working again and I can remote into my pc. I don't really like my options from local stores, so I need to get one from amazon or see how much longer I can push this one. I don't want my first days with the new PC to be screwed up because of battery back up issues.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Decided going to contact Dell about the replacement monitor. While I don't think the burn in on this monitor would truly ever actually bother me (due to its placement), I'd still like one without any burn in if the option is available. I'm expecting them to say "Send your original monitor back first so that RMA can close, then open a new one". I highly doubt they'll just send me a third monitor without sending the first one back yet lol.

1703085925304.png

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Decided going to contact Dell about the replacement monitor. While I don't think the burn in on this monitor would truly ever actually bother me (due to its placement), I'd still like one without any burn in if the option is available. I'm expecting them to say "Send your original monitor back first so that RMA can close, then open a new one". I highly doubt they'll just send me a third monitor without sending the first one back yet lol.

View attachment 296840

As expected

1703091346621.png

Which is fine by me.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
It got built today.

The final list of components.
1703559871659.png

The end result.
1703559734646.png

1703559789280.png

1703559813772.png

Still gotta do some testing and play some games with it, but so far so good. It started first boot with no problems at all. The only thing I screwed up was I missed plugging the rgb into the mobo. I've had 0 issues with this thing so far.

I played a few minutes of cyberpunk before I did any cable management and had any of the panels installed. With everything on the highest setting I was only getting about 50 fps, but it was a very stable 50 fps. If it dropped it would only drop down to about 47. Temps were also good with the cpu maxing at 75 and the gpu at 66.

I'm also trying windows 11 for the first time.

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
It got built today.

The final list of components.
View attachment 297098

The end result.
View attachment 297095

View attachment 297096

View attachment 297097

Still gotta do some testing and play some games with it, but so far so good. It started first boot with no problems at all. The only thing I screwed up was I missed plugging the rgb into the mobo. I've had 0 issues with this thing so far.

I played a few minutes of cyberpunk before I did any cable management and had any of the panels installed. With everything on the highest setting I was only getting about 50 fps, but it was a very stable 50 fps. If it dropped it would only drop down to about 47. Temps were also good with the cpu maxing at 75 and the gpu at 66.

I'm also trying windows 11 for the first time.

Looks good, Merry Christmas to you. My 3rd monitor will be here tomorrow. Hopefully no burn in on this one. Not going to bother going for monitor #4. Considering the burn in on monitor #2 is not noticeable unless you're specifically looking for it, if monitor #3 is worse than monitor #2 I'll just send it back and stick with monitor #2.