GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Nissan 370Z vs. BMW 135i

SRTthis

NJ 2 FL
Yes, that is precisely the kind of failure I am talking about.

My point is this:

The Boxter S is a classic fun topless German rocket that is as fun to ride and drive as it is to sit in the Superman at six flags and it is very affordable for a car that carries the badge of a super car.

The 911 is a motoring legend that signifies the victory crown for many surgeons (the people who actually buy these things), just like that Gold Rolex for some.
For those less interested in the Status Quo and more in the real performance, Porsche 911 has been for decades the benchmark.
Every other car manufacturer is always coming up with something new to challenge the 911, year after year and still the 911 remains the king.

Same goes to the M3, it is and has been a benchmark for saloons since it first came out.

Another prime example is the GTI, a benchmark in its own right in its own segment (hot hatches).

As they say, there is nothing like the original.

Maybe not in real life performance, maybe a properly driven GTR can hand a 911 it's ass in a silver tray, maybe, but still there will be always some rich dude that much rather pay 60K extra and get the Porsche bragging rights.

The same rich guy will not even consider getting a Cayman when he can drive away on the 911, and he would consider a Boxter S just because of the history behind it and the fun/cool factor that the Cayman lacks.

My POV for this, is not the speed, acceleration, if the engine is in the middle or the back. My opinion is stricktly based Lizard and the Cayenne Pepper (which has been a great financial success for Porsche BTW) have contaminated the blood line of two through breed stallions just to fill a market segment.

And this is sad. Is like of Ferrari wakes up tomorrow and decides it is going to start making Hybrids or 4 door saloons.

jesus long quote. anyway you fail to go back in time and realize ferrari has made cars with back seats, Porsche has made a front engine V8. Lamborghini made a damn TRUCK. These past vehicles all broke "tradition" at the time. A company is a company not a vehicle classification. Nowhere does it state that Porsche is "ONLY SPORTS CARS" or Ferrari means "ONLY SPORTS CARS"

KingOfJericho

Go Kart Champion
Yes, that is precisely the kind of failure I am talking about.

My point is this:

The Boxter S is a classic fun topless German rocket that is as fun to ride and drive as it is to sit in the Superman at six flags and it is very affordable for a car that carries the badge of a super car.

The 911 is a motoring legend that signifies the victory crown for many surgeons (the people who actually buy these things), just like that Gold Rolex for some.
For those less interested in the Status Quo and more in the real performance, Porsche 911 has been for decades the benchmark.
Every other car manufacturer is always coming up with something new to challenge the 911, year after year and still the 911 remains the king.

Same goes to the M3, it is and has been a benchmark for saloons since it first came out.

Another prime example is the GTI, a benchmark in its own right in its own segment (hot hatches).

As they say, there is nothing like the original.

Maybe not in real life performance, maybe a properly driven GTR can hand a 911 it's ass in a silver tray, maybe, but still there will be always some rich dude that much rather pay 60K extra and get the Porsche bragging rights.

The same rich guy will not even consider getting a Cayman when he can drive away on the 911, and he would consider a Boxter S just because of the history behind it and the fun/cool factor that the Cayman lacks.

My POV for this, is not the speed, acceleration, if the engine is in the middle or the back. My opinion is stricktly based on that the Lizard and the Cayenne Pepper (which has been a great financial success for Porsche BTW) have contaminated the blood line of two through breed stallions just to fill a market segment.

And this is sad. Is like of Ferrari wakes up tomorrow and decides it is going to start making Hybrids or 4 door saloons.

What has become so abundantly clear is that you only think of cars as a status symbol. A Cayman or Cayenne do absolutely nothing to impact the capabilities of the 911. What it does impact is pompous boobs that get all bent out of shape when a model comes out that will make the statement "I drive a Porsche" a little bit less of a "pantie-dropper" as it can now mean that you drive kids to soccer practice in a Cayenne.

Si Killer

RIP BOVICE
i can understand toproys view on the car, even though it sounds a bit old school and narrowminded. personally i'm not one to love a car because of the status it brings, but the enjoyment it brings to the driver.

toproy

Ricer hunter
i can understand toproys view on the car, even though it sounds a bit old school and narrowminded. personally i'm not one to love a car because of the status it brings, but the enjoyment it brings to the driver.

Excellent point, however.... in the real world, in the world of dimes and pennies and 401ks and failed stocks... the real buyers of Ferraris and Aston Martins and 911s are guys who care more about the Status Quo more than the 0 to 60 times.

For the rest of us, we have the 370Z and the S2000s of the world.

This is all what I am trying to say.

And please... if I cared so much about the Status Quo, why in heavens I would drive to the office a GTI every day when I have an M3 parked in the garage?

But that point of the one who said "I drive my kids to soccer practice in a Porsche" is PRECISELY it, it is precisely why I hate so much the Cayenne, because its sole intention is that, to give some cock that right so say it. And this is what I am speaking of when I say contamination of the bloodline.

And I am perfectly aware that Lamborghini started as a farm equipment firm and that Ferrari has made 4 seaters and that Porsche has made front engine cars...

But if history tells us anything, it tells us that the public does not like them, or else... where are they now? And when was the last time Lamborghini made something that was not just pure, crazy and unadulterated sexy madness?

toproy

Ricer hunter
Yes.... but they are Sexy Tractors.

In fact, this is the tractor Kenny Chesney talks about in his song :rolleyes:

if i could deal with a 2 seater, i'd take the 370z over the 135 in a heartbeat.

norsairius

Go Kart Newbie
well then... to sum things up:
-the 370Z has proven itself such that the 135 should be the one honored to be mentioned in the same sentence, not the other way around.
-The Porsche Cayman is a great sports car, but it's unfortunate that it was built to fill the void between the Boxter and the 911 rather than being built as a car to be as good as it could be and that it would arguably be better than the 911 if given similar engine/suspension tuning due primarily to its superior weight balance.
-performance brands have occasionally made something that doesn't necessarily follow their 'bloodline'
-status vs. reality stuff, etc.
-and uhh... lamborghini makes tractors

that said, I'd love a 370Z... I want it really badly.

Raddicted

Perfectly insane

toproy

Ricer hunter
I am still very impressed by the price of the Z, I am sure they will fly off the dealers and the true price will be somewhere in the 40s due to it being back ordered and what not...

I like the vampire fangs but is the ass of the car I have never liked.

It is just dream material for me anyway since there is NO WAY I can convince my wife to get a two seater. Maybe in another life or when she finds some fellow in an RS6.

norsairius

Go Kart Newbie
Just read this article on Motive, then found this thread. Funny.

that is a good article indeed.

I like both cars, but since I've been a real fan of the Z since I started really getting into cars a while ago, I've just really wanted it. it's kind of special to me in that sense too, haha. I've driven a 350Z and found it to be very enjoyable too.