GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OFFICIAL Golfmk5forums.com Tire Thread!!! Ask RedRabidRabbit Everything Tire Related!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRabidRabbit

I want FREE HAM!!
what's the average life of these performance tires?

There really is no answer. Depending on driver aggression, tire brand, camber angle, there are too many variables. If the car is stockish and driven reasonably, the stock 18" Conti summers on the GTI's should last around 30k. The smaller all seasons, more like 40 - 45k. I've seen some tires I estimate at 20k last double, and vice versa. I've also seen someone get 60k and another 20k, out of the exact same tire. Of course, the guy that got 20k says he drives the car easily :bs:.

mercut

Passed Driver's Ed
hi...i have seen many gtis (including the ones on the forum) with 235/35 R19...Don't they rub? because i would like to install these kind of tyre when i get my gti because the it looks muuuuch better with wider tyres.....
and another question: what does exactly the ET of a tyre represent? :D

greets

peterrabbit

ima eat yo family
There really is no answer. Depending on driver aggression, tire brand, camber angle, there are too many variables. If the car is stockish and driven reasonably, the stock 18" Conti summers on the GTI's should last around 30k. The smaller all seasons, more like 40 - 45k. I've seen some tires I estimate at 20k last double, and vice versa. I've also seen someone get 60k and another 20k, out of the exact same tire. Of course, the guy that got 20k says he drives the car easily :bs:.

thanks!!

RedRabidRabbit

I want FREE HAM!!
hi...i have seen many gtis (including the ones on the forum) with 235/35 R19...Don't they rub? because i would like to install these kind of tyre when i get my gti because the it looks muuuuch better with wider tyres.....
and another question: what does exactly the ET of a tyre represent? :D

greets

The 235's probably do rub. I rub with a 225. The 235 is also .5" taller than stock (and .3" taller than a 225), so the speedometer/odometer will turn slightly slower than normal, which isn't really a big deal.

The ET would be a measurement on a wheel... It represents the offset. A wheel with ET42 would be a +42 offset.

RogueGeek

Kumho tire noise...

Currently have Kumho ECSTA SPT, 225x40x18 on my '07 GTI. They seem to work great, but I'm bothered by excessive noise at times.

Would running 32psi (currently at 35) help the noise? Would this pressure be too low?

After I wear these out, what would people recommend for quiet, but reasonable performance?

thanks!

peterrabbit

ima eat yo family
Currently have Kumho ECSTA SPT, 225x40x18 on my '07 GTI. They seem to work great, but I'm bothered by excessive noise at times.

Would running 32psi (currently at 35) help the noise? Would this pressure be too low?

After I wear these out, what would people recommend for quiet, but reasonable performance?

thanks!

if you read above, i think he mentions 3 tires that have less noise.

question: anyone try the kumho ast tires? how are they?

RedRabidRabbit

I want FREE HAM!!

thanks!

Unfortunately with a summer performance tire (which SPT actually stands for) noise is almost always inevitable. Even the highest quality summer tires still make noise, especially after they start to wear a bit. Of course, the trade off is better dry cornering performance than any all season can dream of.

The pressure shouldn't really have any effect on noise level. You can always try it of course, but if you haven't rotated in a while, I would start with that.

The quietest summer tire I have used myself was the Dunlop Direzza. Toyo T1-R was also very good. I most recently have Fuzion ZRi's on my RS4 reps and they're probably the loudest tire I've used, but the other aspects of the tire are very good.

RedRabidRabbit

I want FREE HAM!!
if you read above, i think he mentions 3 tires that have less noise.

question: anyone try the kumho ast tires? how are they?

The three I mentioned were more what I think are the best in terms of performance... Not so much noise.

The AST's are kind of a budget performance all season. They're a step below the ASX and I am pretty sure they're all H rated. They'd be good for a Rabbit if the driver was pretty tame and was not looking to spend a whole bunch. The Falken 512 should be around the same price and is a much better tire IMO... But with that said, they have a new model coming out (the 912) within a month or two.

Lucidity

Marx
What would be the widest tire I could run on a Gti with 17s and a 1.2 inch drop?

ApexTwin

expert knob twiddler
Hi RRR

Can you explain the load rating numbers, 109,112 etc.
Guys, let's not try to scare off RRR with silly questions that can be easliy answered by looking at their web site... LOAD RATINGS

Dubweiser

Passed Driver's Ed
RRR - you said that you have some experience with the Dunlop Direzza's. I'm looking to stretch 245/35-19's on some 9.5's. I've heard that these tires have a huge rim protector, and run quite wide for their size. Which is perfect for me because I want the tire rim protector to still protrude past the edge of the rim while still giving me a mild stretch. I am aware that this size of tire should rub but I'm not to concerned with that. I would rather the tire look right and deal with the the issues then get a tire that won't rub and have a look I don't want.

Do you think these tires will give me the look that I want? Also these tires get somewhat mixed reviews - what is your take on them?

Thanks,
Kyle

Status
Not open for further replies.