GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OFFICIAL Golfmk5forums.com Tire Thread!!! Ask RedRabidRabbit Everything Tire Related!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRabidRabbit

I want FREE HAM!!
RRR - I just bought some wheels that measure 19.5 x 8.5 with ET45. I need to purchase rubber for them and really like the BFG KDW2s. I know of one other person with the same size wheels running the BFGs in a 235/35/19 and he says he doesn't rub. He is on coilovers probably a little lower than me. I have about a 1.5 inch drop all the way around. Will I be safe with the BFGs in the 235 or should I do 225? I know they run a little on the meaty side, so I'm a little nervous to go all out unless someone way more tire savy than me says it will be ok. Is there another tire I should be cosidering? The Toyo T1Rs look pretty sick, but they are a little more expensive. I'm not gonna lie I love the look of the BFGs but your opinion is much appreciated. If you think there is another tire I should consider by all means tell me what you think. You are the man and I really appreciate your help!:thumbup:

The 225 is safe. On an 8.5 though, I generally like to run a 235 unless you like the big stretched look. It seems there are a lot of guys running 235's without a problem. I do honestly think it's a little hard to believe these cars have NO rubbing, simply because I run a 225 on a 19x8 with a +42 and a 1.7" drop, and I rub the left rear (I guess because I sit on that side) on a big bump. The 235 has another 5mm to the outside and is .3" taller than the same brands 225. I also prefer the 225 because it's a closer match to the factory tire diameter. On the GTi's this is probably not as big of a deal as it is with the Rabbits, because the car makes more power and can overcome the bigger tire much more easily.

If you like the KDW2, buy it. It's a good tire, and it does look hot. I have mentioned a couple of my favorite summers earlier in the thread, but they're a step above the KDW2 (same class as the T1-R). The RE050A PP is about $20 more each, but the GS-D3 is actually cheaper, and still looks sweet.

Vento 3

Oettinger GLi
lots of summer tire questions :wink: I am going to ask winter tire :biggrin:

I am looking at ContiViking Contact 3, ContiWinter Viking 2 and the Viking snowtech. Now i understand Continental make the Viking snow tech, do they use the same technology, compound, tread, etc?

is the Conti brand worth buying more than the Viking snowtech?

also, whats the difference between Contiviking contact 3 and Contiwinter Viking 2? They are name differently, so i am guess the 3 isn't a replacement for the 2, correct?

PS: asking a tire guy is better than asking a sales person :bow:

RedRabidRabbit

I want FREE HAM!!
lots of summer tire questions :wink: I am going to ask winter tire :biggrin:

I am looking at ContiViking Contact 3, ContiWinter Viking 2 and the Viking snowtech. Now i understand Continental make the Viking snow tech, do they use the same technology, compound, tread, etc?

is the Conti brand worth buying more than the Viking snowtech?

also, whats the difference between Contiviking contact 3 and Contiwinter Viking 2? They are name differently, so i am guess the 3 isn't a replacement for the 2, correct?

PS: asking a tire guy is better than asking a sales person :bow:

Yes, the Viking Snowtech is made by Continental. I honestly don't know if the compunding and such is the same as the branded Conti tires, but I don't imagine it's much different. It's classified as a "touring winter" and is H rated which means it more suited for highway driving in winter and will be a bit more stable at highway speeds.

The Viking 2 is a bit more of a deep snow tire, and is studdable. The Viking 3 is more of a light snow/ice tire. If you are mainly around the city and they plow the roads, you're better off with the 3. If you go up into the mountains to go skiing or things of that nature, you're probably better off with the 2. Both of these are Q rated, which is great for low speed traction and comformability to uneven/icy ground, but is not the best for highway and cornering stability.

DBCPerformance

OEM & AFTERMARKET PARTS
Car(s)
An Imaginary GT2
If you want to be the guinea pig, try the new ContiSport 3. I haven't even seen one yet, and I'm super curious to hear some feedback... Hehe.

You know i have been thinking about it too, but havent read nor seen the tire in person yet. Just came across on the internet. I dont think anyone stocks them right now.

I might try the Sport Maxxs just for the sake of it, or get the PPs

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
I like the Yoko AVS ES100's... they have held up fairly well on my '98.5 A4 1.8t Quattro.

The Dunlop D60A2's that were on it stock were the best lasting/wearing tire I've had on the car.

Bridgestone RE730's were the worst wearing I have had on the car!

- AND -

Do you have connections or recommendations on where to get a great deal on OEM Wheels... like the VW "Helios?"

You can PM me if you'd like.

RedRabidRabbit

I want FREE HAM!!
You know i have been thinking about it too, but havent read nor seen the tire in person yet. Just came across on the internet. I dont think anyone stocks them right now.

I might try the Sport Maxxs just for the sake of it, or get the PPs

Tire Rack has lots of ContiSport 3's in both 225 and 235.

Whether or not you want to spend more per tire to take a "gamble" is another story.

RedRabidRabbit

I want FREE HAM!!
Do you have connections or recommendations on where to get a great deal on OEM Wheels... like the VW "Helios?"

You can PM me if you'd like.

I don't have a line on real OEM wheels, only replicas. I haven't looked to see if our supplier deals with the Helios, but I'll take a look tomorrow when I am back in the store. They certainly are popular, and for good reason.

my07blkgti

I'll do it!!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
hey, got another question are tork wheels a good company, i seen them on your site and they are pretty affordable and on wheelsnext.com they offer the torx f-15 wheels in the 5x112 bolt pattern but it doesnt say the offset, i checked your site but you dont offer these wheels in the 5x112 bolt pattern...any info you can give me will be appreaciated

RedRabidRabbit

I want FREE HAM!!
hey, got another question are tork wheels a good company, i seen them on your site and they are pretty affordable and on wheelsnext.com they offer the torx f-15 wheels in the 5x112 bolt pattern but it doesnt say the offset, i checked your site but you dont offer these wheels in the 5x112 bolt pattern...any info you can give me will be appreaciated

Tork wheels are decent, I would put them in line with Rota. If we don't show what you want, it's because we don't stock it. We do have access to the entire Tork/R-1 line, so we can usually get a hold of something you want even if it's not on the site. Email Darrel or Ryan at 1010 and they can let you know the availabilty and price of exactly what you want.

my07blkgti

I'll do it!!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Tork wheels are decent, I would put them in line with Rota. If we don't show what you want, it's because we don't stock it. We do have access to the entire Tork/R-1 line, so we can usually get a hold of something you want even if it's not on the site. Email Darrel or Ryan at 1010 and they can let you know the availabilty and price of exactly what you want.

okay thats good news, thanks for the help again...but the wheels wont crack or anything like that if i hit a big pothole right or the paint wont fade?

RedRabidRabbit

I want FREE HAM!!
i have a question....what r some DOT approved R compound tires that r good w/ wet traction?

Umm, not many, really... lol.

Tires like the Kumho V700's at full tread are pretty capable, but if it was me, I'd run something like the Pirelli Corsa, Michelin Sport Cup, or one of the Advans. The next step down in dry traction, but better in the wet, we've talked about before; Falken Azenis 615, Hankook RS-2, Potenza RE-01R and Kumho MX.

RedRabidRabbit

I want FREE HAM!!
okay thats good news, thanks for the help again...but the wheels wont crack or anything like that if i hit a big pothole right or the paint wont fade?

Well, any wheel can crack if you hit a big enough bump. The most important thing is to keep your air pressure up (40 psi) and try and avoid most of the potholes. Some common sense goes a long way. I ran Konig Heliums on the street on my old car for a long time, and I was told they would bend, crack etc etc... They were mint when I sold them.

my07blkgti

I'll do it!!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Well, any wheel can crack if you hit a big enough bump. The most important thing is to keep your air pressure up (40 psi) and try and avoid most of the potholes. Some common sense goes a long way. I ran Konig Heliums on the street on my old car for a long time, and I was told they would bend, crack etc etc... They were mint when I sold them.

ohhh ok gotcha, thanks for the advice, appreciate it:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.