GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OFFICIAL Golfmk5forums.com Tire Thread!!! Ask RedRabidRabbit Everything Tire Related!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRabidRabbit

I want FREE HAM!!
What would be the widest tire I could run on a Gti with 17s and a 1.2 inch drop?

What is the offset of the wheel?

If it's 43 or less, you'll probably have to stick with the 225/45. 45+ offset and 235 should be fine. If you're using the stock wheel, I'm pretty sure it's a +50, and a 235 shouldn't be a problem.

RedRabidRabbit

I want FREE HAM!!
Hi RRR

Can you explain the load rating numbers, 109,112 etc.

Each load number is just a designation for how much weight the tire can carry at maximum pressure. On the sidewall it will also tell you the max weight, so the load index is kind of redundant. A tire with load index of 109 can carry 2271 pounds when the tire is at max pressure.

RedRabidRabbit

I want FREE HAM!!
RRR - you said that you have some experience with the Dunlop Direzza's. I'm looking to stretch 245/35-19's on some 9.5's. I've heard that these tires have a huge rim protector, and run quite wide for their size. Which is perfect for me because I want the tire rim protector to still protrude past the edge of the rim while still giving me a mild stretch. I am aware that this size of tire should rub but I'm not to concerned with that. I would rather the tire look right and deal with the the issues then get a tire that won't rub and have a look I don't want.

Do you think these tires will give me the look that I want? Also these tires get somewhat mixed reviews - what is your take on them?

Thanks,
Kyle

The Direzzas do have a massive rim protector, probably the biggest I have seen. Whether or not that protector is going to hang over the edge of the wheel when running that much stretch is another story... That's not exactly a mild stretch. You might want to look into a 265/30R19, which they don't make in this tire, but there are lots out there. The 265/30 will have a mild stretch, is 1/2" shorter than the 245/35 which will help with the rub issue, and will still have some rim protection. Keep in mind though the rim protector really doesn't do much to prevent rim damage against a curb. 3000 pounds of car isn't going to be held up by 1/4" of rubber. They do help against rocks, and dropping the wheel on it's face when installing... Stuff like that.

As far as the Direzzas go, I really liked them. They weren't phenomenal, but for the dollar they were awesome. They lacked a little bit of wet traction but they were the most quiet and comfortable pure summer that I have used.

RedRabidRabbit

I want FREE HAM!!
how do you rate the fierce brand tires on the huffs...quality etc and how much do they run a piece??

We don't sell them. I think I've only seen one. Someone told me they were made by Goodyear, but if that was the case, we would sell them. Sorry I don't have any info for you.

Dubweiser

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't necessarily like the rim protector for it's ability to help with curb damage, I really just like the look that they give.

Also, the user on the forums Alf put 235-35-19 Falken's on 9.5" and it wasn't a crazy stretch - more than I want to run; hence, the 245's but I can't run 265's on this car. The rim is already going to poke out and if the tire pokes out I'll for sure rub.

Idealy the tire will stretch in enough to the point to where if I hit a bump and the shocks compress the tire will go into the fender. That probably won't happen but atleast a little bit of fender modification (i.e. pulling, rolling) wouldn't fix.

I appreciate your input though

DBCPerformance

OEM & AFTERMARKET PARTS
Car(s)
An Imaginary GT2
Super Nice thread, thanks to OP.

I have been a loyal GSD3 guy over the years, till i had a killer deal on P-Zero Rossos. I am loving them. However, here is my question: What is the replacement of Bridgestone S03s? Do they still make them, I don't think so.

Also, on 19" rims with 48-50 offset, when using 225s which tire would you recommend for the ultimate rim protection as well as no sacrifice in handling?

Sport Maxxs? perhaps?

Thanks

RedRabidRabbit

I want FREE HAM!!
I don't necessarily like the rim protector for it's ability to help with curb damage, I really just like the look that they give.

Also, the user on the forums Alf put 235-35-19 Falken's on 9.5" and it wasn't a crazy stretch - more than I want to run; hence, the 245's but I can't run 265's on this car. The rim is already going to poke out and if the tire pokes out I'll for sure rub.

Idealy the tire will stretch in enough to the point to where if I hit a bump and the shocks compress the tire will go into the fender. That probably won't happen but atleast a little bit of fender modification (i.e. pulling, rolling) wouldn't fix.

I appreciate your input though

Alf used a Falken 452 which is very wide for the size. Stretching a tire that much IS a big stretch. It's not unsafe, but it's as much as you can stretch the thing without it becoming unsafe. I did an Audi A4 last year with the same idea... 19*8.5 & 9.5 OZ Galileo's with 235 & 245/35R19 PS2's and the 245 looked hairy on the 9.5". I've also done some other stuff like 205's on 8.5's. Like you say, hopefully you can run enough camber without it being tire destroying that it will allow the tire to tuck into the fender over a big bump.

Good luck :thumbsup:

RedRabidRabbit

I want FREE HAM!!
Super Nice thread, thanks to OP.

I have been a loyal GSD3 guy over the years, till i had a killer deal on P-Zero Rossos. I am loving them. However, here is my question: What is the replacement of Bridgestone S03s? Do they still make them, I don't think so.

Also, on 19" rims with 48-50 offset, when using 225s which tire would you recommend for the ultimate rim protection as well as no sacrifice in handling?

Sport Maxxs? perhaps?

Thanks

The S-03 was discontinued in Spring of last year. They still make it in one size only, 225/45R18, which was the OE tire on the Altima SE-R's. Goodyear did the same thing with the Gatorback when the GS-D3 debuted, still making the 245/45R17 which has come on Mustang GT's since '95. The replacement tire is the RE050A Pole Position. It's a little confusing because there are four or five different RE050's, but the PP is the daddy.

Really, when it comes to the Max Performance summers (when you want maximum handling) there really are no bad choices. They're all very, very good. I have recommended in this thread already the aforementioned RE050A PP, you know how good the GS-D3 is, and the Michelin PS2. Most people shy away from the PS2 because the pricing is pretty high. I have put the Sport Maxx on a couple vehicles but really don't have tons of feedback on it. However, the SP9000 was a great tire for a long time, and I am certain the Sport Maxx is a nice improvement over that tire. I still believe the new PP is super hard to beat for the money though. They don't do the 225, but they do in a 235, which you might want to consider if you want good rim protection. You won't have an issue with that tire size if you're running the high offset you mention (48+). If you're set on the 225, the Maxx does have a nice rim protector, which seems to be a Dunlop trait.

If you want to be the guinea pig, try the new ContiSport 3. I haven't even seen one yet, and I'm super curious to hear some feedback... Hehe.

moderndrummer11

Passed Driver's Ed
what tire would you recommend for 18" wheels on a rabbit with a drop of like 1.5-2" offset +45mm
like brand, size, etc?

RedRabidRabbit

I want FREE HAM!!
what tire would you recommend for 18" wheels on a rabbit with a drop of like 1.5-2" offset +45mm
like brand, size, etc?

With an 18" wheel you'll want to look at either a 225 or 235/40R18. The 225 is the factory size and matches the stock 25" overall tire height, but the 235 is a nice upgrade which a lot of guys do.

What is your price range on the tires? All seasons or summers? Are you mostly concerned with grip, or with comfort and treadlife?

RedRabidRabbit

I want FREE HAM!!
mid range price. probably all seasons
and comfort/treadlife

thanks a lot btw:thumbsup:

Hey, not a problem at all. I enjoy doing this kind of thing, that's why I do it.

One all season I really like at a reasonable price is the Continental Extreme Contact. I just put a set on my friends girlfriends car a couple days ago. They get good ratings, are a solid feeling, reliable tire, and they have good performance in all weather conditions. Kumho ASX's are pretty good too, but if you can swing the extra 20%, the Conti is a little better build quality and should last longer. The best choice IMO would be the Toyo Proxes 4, but they are a bit more money. This tire is phenomenally good, but it's a bit shorter in treadlife.

Last edited:

jch0707

Nuts for Wrangler butts
RRR - I just bought some wheels that measure 19.5 x 8.5 with ET45. I need to purchase rubber for them and really like the BFG KDW2s. I know of one other person with the same size wheels running the BFGs in a 235/35/19 and he says he doesn't rub. He is on coilovers probably a little lower than me. I have about a 1.5 inch drop all the way around. Will I be safe with the BFGs in the 235 or should I do 225? I know they run a little on the meaty side, so I'm a little nervous to go all out unless someone way more tire savy than me says it will be ok. Is there another tire I should be cosidering? The Toyo T1Rs look pretty sick, but they are a little more expensive. I'm not gonna lie I love the look of the BFGs but your opinion is much appreciated. If you think there is another tire I should consider by all means tell me what you think. You are the man and I really appreciate your help!:thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.