GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Speedtech Coilovers and new wheels!

Aigoo

Ready to race!
UPDATE: Coils installed! First of all much thanks to Wrenchwerks for the installation, Ben@p2spec for the coils, and rs5mark for his brain!

Well pictures say a thousand words so here they are first. Pardon large file size/cellphone picture

Here they are installed. Installed them basically all the way down on all four corners just to see how they'll sit. Will definitely be raising at least the rears to fit my new wheels...

:D

Intial Ride Impressions:
Anyone who lives in hawaii knows how terrible our roads are... especially around Wrench Werks lol. That being said, I ventured out to test drive with the coils dropped all the way to the ground. It was amazing. Essentially feels just slightly stiffer than stock, still absorbing all the imperfections in the road perfectly. The car maintains it's sporty nature at this ride height without being harsh at all. Definitely an amazing coilover for the street, and I suspect that it will serve well on the track as well.

I'll definitely update impressions after the coils get settled and I'm set at my final ride height with my wheels.

tl;dr

Amazing coils, amazing ride quality, won't slam to the ground for those looking to be destroying their front bumpers :p

SHOULD I KEEP MY MUD GUARDS?!

:eek:riginal post:
Well after a bunch of deliberation I decided to give the ST coilovers a shot. I'll edit this post with a review when they're in and installed along with my new wheels :p. Just putting up a placeholder post for now. Been reading the few people that have made reviews about the ST coils and they seem to fit what i'm looking for perfectly. Can't wait to get them installed!

Thanks ben@p2spec for the assistance!

Well since this is the wheel/tire/suspension thread, what kind of tires do you guys recommend for a 9" 38et in the rear? I know it's kind of pushing it, but there are people with way crazier offsets than that lol. Alot of people stretch 225's on a 9.5", not sure if that will give me enough stretch on a 9" to clear my fenders.

Front's are 8" 38. decided on 215/40 for the fronts... i think i'll be ok. What do you guys think?

Any help would be appreciated :D

Last edited:

DRedman451

Go Kart Champion
i would run a 215 if you want to go low in the back without a lot of camber...otherwise 225's will rub and not go as low

you can definitely get away with a 215 in the front although a 205 would be better...it just narrows down tire options a lot

Aigoo

Ready to race!
not sure how low i'll be going... i've heard different things but the gist of it is that ST's don't get dumped, but they drop a decent amount. I'll have to wait and see i suppose.

In regards to the fender screw mod, does that apply to the rear fenders as well?

EuroStylez

Go Kart Champion
not sure how low i'll be going... i've heard different things but the gist of it is that ST's don't get dumped, but they drop a decent amount. I'll have to wait and see i suppose.

In regards to the fender screw mod, does that apply to the rear fenders as well?

front fenders NEED to be rolled but the rears are fine, dont worry and i'll be running similar set up..
front 18x8 et40 tires 205/40/18
rear 18x9 et37 tires 215/40/18 definitely needs some camber so i dont destroy rear fenders ohh and my car is pretty low and im going even lower!

im going with /40 on tires since my wheels arent cheap and i need some meat on them to protect the wheels from Jerseys man-eater potholes!

Aigoo

Ready to race!
front fenders NEED to be rolled but the rears are fine, dont worry and i'll be running similar set up..
front 18x8 et40 tires 205/40/18
rear 18x9 et37 tires 215/40/18 definitely needs some camber so i dont destroy rear fenders ohh and my car is pretty low and im going even lower!

im going with /40 on tires since my wheels arent cheap and i need some meat on them to protect the wheels from Jerseys man-eater potholes!

yah that's almost exactly what i'm looking at. Helps alot :D thanks! Sorry couldn't get those miros, but found some rims i had to pick up!

DJEuphoria

Go Kart Champion
i'm currently running 19x9 et39 in the rear on 235/35/19.

i cambered my wheels all the way in but still rub a bit every now and then.

i'll get new tires eventually. probably stretch 215's and ease up on the camber....

Aigoo

Ready to race!
i'm currently running 19x9 et39 in the rear on 235/35/19.

i cambered my wheels all the way in but still rub a bit every now and then.

i'll get new tires eventually. probably stretch 215's and ease up on the camber....

yah i got 215's on my 18's right now. hopefully i'll be good.

but i definitely love your wheels lol

Aigoo

Ready to race!
Yeah Aigoo! :). Was a pleasure to get you the coils my friend. Looks good!

Thanks again Ben awesome working with you. Will post a more details after i get everything dialed in and finalized.

I think i need to ditch my mud guards since they're scraping on every speed bump and up my driveway. sad days hahaha

Aigoo

Ready to race!
Got a good deal on some federal tires in hawaii, so i went with those tires. Little did I know that they run wider than most tires lol.

The 215's on the 9" looks like it will still work, but the 215 on the 8" look like 225's haha. Figured since the ST's don't drop that low I could get away with 215... but with these federal tires i'm not so sure.

Might be a little bit more till i get shots with the wheels on!

Anybody with federal tires care to chime in? Or would it be better to post a new thread?

Thanks again!