GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

THE Formula One Thread

torga

Autocross Champion
I just looked at their catalog there and the entire company should be thrown in jail for those hideous things.

no elegance, just LOUD

torga

Autocross Champion
eh, there are plenty of watches that are just as impressive but are also handsome and elegant, imo

torga

Autocross Champion
Yeah, yeah, I know the longer/heavier cars are stable and fast. But I'd love to see em racing small cars again.

1681697977479.png
1681697987904.png
1681697999155.png

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
Small cars but pre-97 width so they can still have all the modern side impact stuff on them.

You can get them short again if the teams would go back to focusing on a compact gearbox and casing instead of letting the casing have 50cm of unused space.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
Small cars but pre-97 width so they can still have all the modern side impact stuff on them.

You can get them short again if the teams would go back to focusing on a compact gearbox and casing instead of letting the casing have 50cm of unused space.

Shorter would be nice, but the advantages of having more floor area typically outweigh the advantages of a shorter car; at least with the most recent regs. I'm waiting for 2026 to see how they address the lighter/shorter cars. :fingers crossed:

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
For some of the races I've watched in the past few years I couldn't help but wonder if there would have been more/easier overtaking if the cars were narrower. To me some of the tracks look like the cars are simply too wide to get two abreast around some corners. And then the discourse is "well XYZ race is just a procession after Quali, it will be/was a snoozefest" and I'm left sitting here like "track limits are 1.5x car width for 80% of the course, what do you expect?"

Were things better back in the good ol days? Does anyone feel FIA should have pushed track to increase the track width as car width increased?

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
For some of the races I've watched in the past few years I couldn't help but wonder if there would have been more/easier overtaking if the cars were narrower. To me some of the tracks look like the cars are simply too wide to get two abreast around some corners. And then the discourse is "well XYZ race is just a procession after Quali, it will be/was a snoozefest" and I'm left sitting here like "track limits are 1.5x car width for 80% of the course, what do you expect?"

Were things better back in the good ol days? Does anyone feel FIA should have pushed track to increase the track width as car width increased?
They were even wider prior to 1994 by 150mm.

1681745149580.png

torga

Autocross Champion

torga

Autocross Champion
sure, it's fun. but it's compromising prep, imo. i don't think a single 60-minute session is enough for teams to work out solutions to potential problems. there are some brand new drivers with very little experience at Baku. sim training is super helpful for them, but it can never fully replace physical seat time.

i do think that three separate 60 minute practice sessions can sometimes be a bit tiring and tbh, i only ever watch the highlights from those sessions. but something tells me that reducing it to one session is just too aggressive. i feel like we'll be seeing even more crashes than usual at Baku this weekend.

hans611

Lost
sure, it's fun. but it's compromising prep, imo. i don't think a single 60-minute session is enough for teams to work out solutions to potential problems. there are some brand new drivers with very little experience at Baku. sim training is super helpful for them, but it can never fully replace physical seat time.

i do think that three separate 60 minute practice sessions can sometimes be a bit tiring and tbh, i only ever watch the highlights from those sessions. but something tells me that reducing it to one session is just too aggressive. i feel like we'll be seeing even more crashes than usual at Baku this weekend.

Lol you would then be surprised there is a big movement within the F1 community to eliminate free practice sessions completely, like they would show up for the qualy....

https://www.racefans.net/2023/04/25...e-format-including-half-hour-sprint-shootout/

this is just too much now. a single practice session for the whole weekend before launching straight into two quali sessions and two race sessions? i feel like they're starting to push "the show" a little too hard.

its like we have 2 GPs now....

torga

Autocross Champion
Lol you would then be surprised there is a big movement within the F1 community to eliminate free practice sessions completely, like they would show up for the qualy....

do these people have brains? you gotta stretch before the big game