GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

THE Formula One Thread

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Interesting race...

Never seen that happen on a formation lap.
Crazy crash on the 1st lap.
And then a very good race at the end (IMO), although just for a 3rd place.

Mercedes struggled though.

berserker6

Drag Racing Champion
Interesting race...

Never seen that happen on a formation lap.
Crazy crash on the 1st lap.
And then a very good race at the end (IMO), although just for a 3rd place.

Mercedes struggled though.
Really? I remember a few instances. A famous one was Schumacher and another car coming together in the 90s. And not so long ago I think it was Romain (sorry if it wasn't you Romain 😂) but yeah it happens

hans611

Lost
Really? I remember a few instances. A famous one was Schumacher and another car coming together in the 90s. And not so long ago I think it was Romain (sorry if it wasn't you Romain 😂) but yeah it happens

He didnt exactly make a mistake, the hydraulics failed and it locked up the rear end..... but there is been times its actually been a mistake.. I think it was Magnussen once... usually when its wet.... Bottas also spun behind a safety car a few years ago....

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
He didnt exactly make a mistake, the hydraulics failed and it locked up the rear end..... but there is been times its actually been a mistake.. I think it was Magnussen once... usually when its wet.... Bottas also spun behind a safety car a few years ago....
Did we ever get any details beyond “hydraulic failure”? At first I was under the impression that he lost power assist to his steering and later there’s talk of the rear locking up.

berserker6

Drag Racing Champion
They may not be lying but I take very little of what teams ever say as true. It's the nature of the sport. Gotta protect the driver. (Unless they're looking to move on) And maybe they ain't lying. Maybe the hydraulics did fail. I guess the question would be did it fail before or after the spin? 😂

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
They may not be lying but I take very little of what teams ever say as true. It's the nature of the sport. Gotta protect the driver. (Unless they're looking to move on) And maybe they ain't lying. Maybe the hydraulics did fail. I guess the question would be did it fail before or after the spin? 😂
its like back when engines used to absolutely destroy themselves violently and the team would say it was a "hydraulics failure."

yeah, the hydraulic system failed when a connecting rod tore through the lines.

hans611

Lost
I just went back to see it in F1TV from his POV, they had the cam facing the driver, not the one facing forward, but you can clearly hear.... he comes up to the corner and on the second downshift the engine just shuts down and you see him correcting and it just spins off.... not really any conspiracy here.... definitely something failed and the rear end locked up...

However, even world champions can make mistakes:

Mika crashes and bawls his eyes out:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/_wNo1WrNAcE

Better HD view but not including the crying (F1 got shit for filming him crying)

(the last clip of the video above also shows DC loosing the car on the formation lap from pole position....)

His explanation of what happened:

Last edited:

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Yesterday I read that Leclercs’s crash was due to a faulty sensor reading making the computer believe that complete engine failure was imminent… so it just shut the engine off. Perfect timing to lock up the wheels and send the car into the wall.

Mass_Paul

Go Kart Newbie
But don't worry about Ferrari, they are going with a special white livery. Should fix all of the issues they have been having for the past X number of years. I actually think this livery pays more tribute to the poor running that they had with a white livery in the 90's and when they used white several years ago.

Too bad they could not also incorporate the gold wheels that went with the white back in the 70's.

Mass_Paul

Go Kart Newbie
I think it was Grosjean that stuck it in the wall behind a safety car. If anyone can find new and inventive ways to crash a car; it is Grosjean (and still is).

hans611

Lost
But don't worry about Ferrari, they are going with a special white livery. Should fix all of the issues they have been having for the past X number of years. I actually think this livery pays more tribute to the poor running that they had with a white livery in the 90's and when they used white several years ago.

Too bad they could not also incorporate the gold wheels that went with the white back in the 70's.

Lol yeah, the SF16-H, they went from the SF15-T which had a few wins, and could sort of compete, to being nowhere.... Everyone was saying it was the curse of the white livery like the 90s....

It looked great though, and I liked the square nose over the long nose of the SF15....

1699672256545.png

berserker6

Drag Racing Champion
Anyone catch the opening ceremony for Vegas? Holy shite. I never saw anything like it. The drivers looked like they couldn't wait to get the fuk outta there 😂

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Anyone catch the opening ceremony for Vegas? Holy shite. I never saw anything like it. The drivers looked like they couldn't wait to get the fuk outta there 😂
Max said he felt like a clown apparently. Then he skipped the VIP event he was asked to attend after that lol.

berserker6

Drag Racing Champion
Welp. That sukt (FP1)
On a brighter note the track under the lights looks amazing