GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The GunKat's Car Feedback Thread with POLE.

pole?

• Keep your car, it looks good/performs well, etc. Get something on the side later.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Get a Civic /other cheap DD, pay off within a year or so and buy an S2K, BRZ, Miata, C5 Z06, etc.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Other – post up.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Gunkata = Plac

Votes: 28 32.9%
  • Sell feauxS3, buy PT Cruiser

Votes: 11 12.9%
  • Next gen WRX/MS3/MK7

Votes: 11 12.9%

• Total voters

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
My father in law just traded in his C5 z06 at Rossi Chevy in Washington NJ. The car is beyond mint with 24k miles and I can get you a good deal on it

Cool. I'm going to try and test drive the silver one in town here this week along with some other crap like the FR-S and some boring cars and go from there.

Would it be sacrilege to drive a z06 all year round or just cool? I think it would freak some people out too, kind of the same thing as running my station wagon at the track :lol:

The stupid thing is that a $25k C5Z would save me money in like 3-5 years over my S4 - and that is NOT counting the $$ I would pour into the S4 to make it track-worthy (which amounts to ~$30k).

RoyB1

Go Kart Champion
didn't you already do this poll once? A slow DD will be boring and you will hate your life.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
SOMEONE TAKE JAWNS NEW THREAD BUTTON AWAY

:clap::clap::clap:

As much as I love the Z06.... jesus. That interior. It is almost identical to the one in my Dad's S10 from 1999! So horrible. Big print/buttons for geriatrics. Just ugly.

That being said, I would get one in a heartbeat (get it, heartbeat - also a slogan for Chevy back when that interior was designed!)

becauseracecar

the shifter feel kinda sucks too, but whatevs.

I was going to say that earlier, but was afraid of getting flamed for talking crap on the interior of a high performance track beast. I was surprised it had a CD player rather than cassette. :iono:

nah man, you keep it real son. the interior sucks, no doubt. But it is a track beast.

Eh. What else is better for $25k, an FR-S? :lol:

(I intend to test drive an FR-S and Fiesta ST too, interestingly both are 200 hp 2700 lbs $25k)

exactly. For track cars - with power, its one of the best bangs foryour buck, if not THE best.

You can get the Focus ST for around 25k as well

Voted for next gen ms3/wrx/mk7 in that order. You should get the new gen ms3 because the exterior is going to look very sporty/European and then do an awd swap from the cx5/ms6 :D.

haha... i do think the exterior will look amazing, no doubt. just waiting to hear on power/performance, etc.

Why not get a BMW engine swap in the A3 if you want something sportier?

*runs for cover

duwah? that sounds... expensive.

Sell Audi. Buy $10k civic + sport bike.

not bad. I've had bikes before, and with a family and long commute now, there's just no good time to ride, so two cars sounds better in the end.

i can't stop laughing, i voted, keep.

thank you thank you.

it sucks on the plac option, cos that takes a way a third of votes that could be taken seriously, oh well.

Best response on this whole forum.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...9634.html?utm_hp_ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false

YOLO.

Good shit as usual here.

I voted keep it, but I'm really not sure. I think about this every day. Sell GTI and Miata and have $4k Civic and S2K. Or just E46 M3... or something.

But I think you'd probably miss the A3 on a day to day basis. I mean AWD for K04 traction+Chicago winters. K04 powah. Sleek looks. Dat badge if you're like maxturdi and care. DSG (gay). I mean it's a sick DD and decent performance car. Driving an automatic Civic would suck in comparison. I'd probably hold out and eventually get a second car.

yeah, you, me, and troy on the same page kinda.

I love the A3 as a daily, but just want more out of it for tracking, and miss stick here and there.

On the way home tonight, a guy complimented the car at the gas station, and some high school looking girl gave the car a double take and a "turnaround to look" when I passed by. I felt like Plac at the daycare getting love from the other dads.

My father in law just traded in his C5 z06 at Rossi Chevy in Washington NJ. The car is beyond mint with 24k miles and I can get you a good deal on it

OH DANG.

Why would anyone buy an s2k over a 350z???

6 cylinders NA > 4 cylinders NA

UHHHHH....

weight, handling, shifter, high revving, Honda.

I vote NSX.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Don't S2ks make better track cars out of the box?

yes

Cool. I'm going to try and test drive the silver one in town here this week along with some other crap like the FR-S and some boring cars and go from there.

Would it be sacrilege to drive a z06 all year round or just cool? I think it would freak some people out too, kind of the same thing as running my station wagon at the track :lol:

The stupid thing is that a $25k C5Z would save me money in like 3-5 years over my S4 - and that is NOT counting the $$ I would pour into the S4 to make it track-worthy (which amounts to ~$30k).

you could DD it year round, just get some good ass winter tires. They just seem like such good track cars, even stock. I see them at track days all the time and they seem so damn capable.

didn't you already do this poll once? A slow DD will be boring and you will hate your life.

I do it every year or so, lol.

yeah, a slow DD wouldn't be ideal, but I figure if I only have to drive it to work 3 days a week, and the other car two (sans winter), I think thats doable.

Another possible option.. with some ball chaffing from the wife, is pick up a $3-$4K Miata to track... but then I'd need tires for it and who knows what else.. it all adds up.

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
You wanna buy my '96 Civic hatchback Jawn? lol

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
You wanna buy my '96 Civic hatchback Jawn? lol

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
you could DD it year round, just get some good ass winter tires. They just seem like such good track cars, even stock. I see them at track days all the time and they seem so damn capable.

Yeah I am thinking that a car that doesn't need any mods except tires and has basically all cheap parts is going to be a lot more cost effective in the long term than running any German car on the track OR 30k+ street miles per year.

FR-S or Fiesta ST would be cheaper still to run I'd guess and probably easier to drive in town and shit (42' turning diameter on C5Z :lol:) but I'd probably end up modding those things way more than a Corvette.

The main question on my mind is whether I'd miss the 2-3x a year I have people in the back seat. It's tiny but still useable in the Mustang/Fiesta/FR-S for short trips... I can set the front seat for myself (5'10") and just barely fit in the back.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah I am thinking that a car that doesn't need any mods except tires and has basically all cheap parts is going to be a lot more cost effective in the long term than running any German car on the track OR 30k+ street miles per year.

FR-S or Fiesta ST would be cheaper still to run I'd guess and probably easier to drive in town and shit (42' turning diameter on C5Z :lol:) but I'd probably end up modding those things way more than a Corvette.

The main question on my mind is whether I'd miss the 2-3x a year I have people in the back seat. It's tiny but still useable in the Mustang/Fiesta/FR-S for short trips... I can set the front seat for myself (5'10") and just barely fit in the back.

exactly on the german car DD / track dilemma, x1000. Exactly my concerns there. The Z brakes/rotors are cheap (well, sans race pads), motor reliable, etc, etc. Great chassis and power stock.

Why no Focus ST?

the smaller cars back seat is basically just a one seater at that point.

SixSpeeder

Go Kart Champion
UHHHHH....

weight, handling, shifter, high revving, Honda.

The s2k only handles slightly better than the Z. Bragging about "high revving" when you only make 30 horsepower is like bragging about being good in bed when you have a 3 inch peen. Real engines don't need to rev past 2000 rpm to make the torque the s2k does. Ha, buy an s2k, that's like buying a fancy Miata. Why stop there? Might as well get a 4-cylinder BMW Z3 while you're at it. Turns are for pussies anyways, real men only go straight.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
exactly on the german car DD / track dilemma, x1000. Exactly my concerns there. The Z brakes/rotors are cheap (well, sans race pads), motor reliable, etc, etc. Great chassis and power stock.

Why no Focus ST?

the smaller cars back seat is basically just a one seater at that point.

I'm OK with the tiny back seat, main reason for Fiesta over Focus is weight. Right now I'm thinking something like

Light weight: Fiesta vs. FR-S. Fiesta has better seats, space, mpg, tech but FWD with torque vectoring though these cars have so little power it doesn't matter as much.

Mid weight: Corvette (vs Focus, but it's not a real competition at that point). C5 is by far the fastest but only 2 seats and more money spent on tires than the light weights.

Heavyweight: Mustang. Combines the space and available features of the light weights with the high power of a Vette but at the cost of reduced performance and probably increased use of tires/brakes/fuel/suspension.

Lots of other stuff out there too but those are the main things I think I'd enjoy for more than a few months. I also really like the idea of actually being able to source parts or service within a 100 mile radius and work for a supplier whose top 2 clients are Ford and GM (Toyota is 3rd), my dad has been at GM for 35 years, uncle retired from Ford after 30some years, etc. so there is some bias for me to buy a 'murica-mobile at some point.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
I've only actually driven the Mustangs and Focus ST out of that list so far. I've driven a couple of C6 vettes and a base auto Fiesta but those aren't really fair comparisons to the C5Z or ST. I'm hoping to test the FR-S and C5Z by the end of the week and the Fiesta ST sometime this month if anyone ever gets one in stock.

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
The vettes are ridiculously cheap to own. The gas milage is great, parts and labor are cheap if they do break down and the performance you get for what spend is second to none especially c5 zo6 they are just so cheap. The 02+ are very nice to drive so long as you don't put a ridiculous exhaust on it. The 01 can be driven daily but the rear suspension needs to be changed to 02+ otherwise its insanely stiff and crashes on shitty roads. I almost bought a few vettes before I endded up with an M3 and the c5 zo6 seemed quieter then the c6 z51. The c6s I drove were all rattle traps and z51s rode very rough.