GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Ultimate "Driver's" Road Trip

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
I wouldnt use that filter anymore btw, it probably has been damaged enough that you could end up destroying your turbo .

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
Drove with a bag on your intake? No comprende

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
I wouldnt use that filter anymore btw, it probably has been damaged enough that you could end up destroying your turbo .
It's probably restricting airflow quite a bit now.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Drove with a bag on your intake? No comprende
I think what happened was he put a bag on his intake filter during the tow? Then forgot to take it off once he started driving? Im not really sure...

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
I think what happened was he put a bag on his intake filter during the tow? Then forgot to take it off once he started driving? Im not really sure...
Put a bag over it while I was washing since I was spreading water directly in the grill and up through the wheel well. Drove out the car wash, immediately noticed a lack of power, and a few feet later realized I had the bag on still

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Did you really think you could hydrolock your non-running engine at the car wash by getting the filter wet?

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
So I forgot to take the bag I had covering my intake (I'm super paranoid) off for half a mile, or less, and look what it did to my intake.

Drove out the car wash, immediately noticed a lack of power, and a few feet later realized I had the bag on still

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
You're supposed to leave the filter open and blast water in there until the motor explodes. Then you call insurance and get a built motor out of the deal.... :ROFLMAO:
Nah just let your wife drive it during a rain storm with a CAI like i did.

RIP mk4 24v VR6

Last edited:

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
No, but I could saturate it with high pressure water. Same reason you're supposed to cover it when you wash your bay.
Also the half mile comes in with the "noticed a lack of power." And I say "or less" the distance is neither here nor there; it was mostly meant to be a comical look at what vacuum does to your filter. I never would've expected that, I would've guessed it'd rip a hole in the thin bag before crushing the intake

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
Old saying by a famous man: Sometimes, '' discretion is the better part of valor. ''

On this trip you've done, and certainly experienced, more than most people would ever do. It's time to go, head for home base. I don't know how deep your funding goes but you've sure spent way more than that $1200 you said you had left, way back when. A lot of this more recent stuff was a clear waste of money, like needing to pay several hundred dollars to get out of the mud flats.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I've never cared for open element air filters. Using a plastic bag over the filter while spraying the engine compartment isn't a bad idea. No it's not going to hydroloc, but water in the wrong places sure can lead to fun & games. Leaving the bag on the air filter must have been for comic relief. :D

Enjoy the rest of your trip, stay on the pavement & out of the quicksand. ;)

torga

Autocross Champion
I think I now know why you've been having so many mechanical issues with your car thus far.

All over the continental US, it has had to drag around the massive balls it takes to think, "hell yea lemme just dip off the freeway at 50mph into some mud" while driving a GTI.