GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thinking of getting a WRX

BlownFa5

Banned
I meant isnt the turbo variant of the brz engine going to be in the new WRX/STI??

Yes, from what I've heard it will be a direct injected variant of the FA engine. Finally, an engine that may potentially be able to "reliably" hold more than 350hp.

DrGonzo

Ready to race!
YOU DO KNOW THAT A BRAND NEW WRX WILL ARRIVE BEFORE THE NEW GTI RIGHT? It is supposed to be a more powerful, more fuel efficient, and an immensely better looking car than the current WRX. What's the hurry? I would wait for the new WRX.

That's what I was thinking.

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using tapatalk.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
6spd, good.

350bhp? they've been doing that for ages.

ElusiveGTI

Ready to race!
I hope I can get 350 out of it, that shouldn't be that hard. Calling insurance agent tomorrow. We will see where this takes me.

BlownFa5

Banned
6spd, good.

350bhp? they've been doing that for ages.

I'm actually talking whp.

And notice I used the words over and reliably. That isn't something subies have been doing for ages, or ever.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I'm actually talking whp.

And notice I used the words over and reliably. That isn't something subies have been doing for ages, or ever.

out of WRX? well sure, that's stupid.. when people take things too far, there are issues.. motor, trans, etc.

subies were very reliable prior to say '07, especially the STI's. Trans were bulletproof. WRX .. not so much. When you combine too much power and asshat drivers, you are bound to have shit break.

BlownFa5

Banned
out of WRX? well sure, that's stupid.. when people take things too far, there are issues.. motor, trans, etc.

subies were very reliable prior to say '07, especially the STI's. Trans were bulletproof. WRX .. not so much. When you combine too much power and asshat drivers, you are bound to have shit break.

Of course. It's stupid only because it can't be done reliably. My point was, it will be nice if this engine is strong enough to make that kind of power, stock. And at the worst, one will only need to worry about the tranny.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
it's a stock motor.. for $25K.. can't always expect the sky from mfg's..

BlownFa5

Banned
I guess I'm just spoiled by having an engine in my $20,000 car that makes upwards of 400whp reliably :laugh:

I thought I saw turbo BRZs pushing 400whp+ on stock internals, though I haven't read any follow ups as to any problems these engines were having.

ElusiveGTI

Ready to race!
How does the ko4 gti compete with the wrx. Which stage would the wrx be? Isn't ko4 like 320hp and close to same torque?

T is for TURBO

Ready to race!
I guess I'm just spoiled by having an engine in my $20,000 car that makes upwards of 400whp reliably :laugh:

I thought I saw turbo BRZs pushing 400whp+ on stock internals, though I haven't read any follow ups as to any problems these engines were having.

Horsepower usually doesn't kill things. It's the torque that does ;)

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion

I'd like to see what 20k car puts down 400whp+ for over 150k miles, anything less than that is not enough time to judge reliability.

mkvince

Go Kart Champion
I test drove a WRX back in December, and it felt quicker and torquier than my GTI with Stage 2 ARP tune. Even though stock WRX has only 244 ft lb torque, and APR stage 2 claims to have 310 ft lbs of torque, the WRX felt much quicker because of the gearing of the transmission. I even made a thread on here about it. Stock handling of the WRX was terrible with a lot of body roll so their suspension needs some work. The boxer engine throttle response is very responsive. If you want a more performance oriented car, get the WRX IMO.

I've been eyeing on the WRX for a long time, but I end up in an Evo X now :).

VW refinement and quality is overated IMO. No offense to anybody here. I love my VW. Within a month, my GTI developed more than rattles, buzzings, seat and door squeak than my Evo does. So far, the Evo has absolutely no rattles despite the rough rides (knock on wood). Sure, the quality of the material of the WRX/STI/Evo they use don't "feel and look" as luxury, but it doesn't mean they don't last. When I close the door of the Evo, it doesn't feel no where near as solid as the VW, but at least, it doesn't flex and creak lol.