GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tip Talk

BigTuna

is from Canada eh.
Generally I round up to the next $20. If my bill is $55, I'll give $15 for tip. If it's a cheap bill, I'll tip really well for great service (a $9 bill will be rounded to $20).

The higher the bill the more I tip. If my bill is $90, I leave $120 on the table. This is for 2 people, if I'm in a group I expect others to throw in around $7-$10 each. Groups are more work and should throw in a bigger tip.

However... if you give me bad service, or act like an ass, I will not only leave you a very shitty $2 tip, I'll let you know that you blew it in the nicest way possible.

I have no patience for shitty service. If you are busy and it takes a while to get my stuff, I understand. But I won't tolerate servers who spend a lot of time hanging out with a table full of the opposite sex, or talking with coworkers in the corner for 10 minutes, while I wait for them to take my order.

Keep in mind too that where I live the servers make around $9 an hour so tips are just a bonus. Not like some servers that make $2-$3. When I'm in those places I will tip better because I know they need the tips to survive.

KingOfJericho

Go Kart Champion
It really irks me when people think they're tipping you extremely well, when it reality, they're not tipping you anything spectacular.
This statement kind of irks me. Since when is it a customers objective to wow you with money? Do you wow them with service? The only time I ever tip extremely well is when I go to a bar and after ordering 3 drinks each (at $8-10 a piece) the bartender starts giving us buy-backs. You can expect to get the cost of those drinks in tip for doing that. If all you're doing it bringing out the food, bringing out the drinks, and doing it in a timely fashion then I really don't see how you could be expecting an extremely large tip... you are doing your job.

I consider myself to be a good tipper. I typically tip 20%. I've gone out with 5 or 6 friends and run up an $800 bill from drinks and apps and when the bill came, it's pretty simple... $200 tip (that's more than most people make in a day). You don't run up a bill like that ordering entres so you know you've had the server running back and forth bringing drink after drink in an endless stream. That's a pain in the ass so you deserve the cake.

Flipping the coin... I was just in eastern Europe for a few weeks where tipping is not expected or required. I found it weird and awkward but got used to it. There's something so nice about sitting in a cafe, drinking 5 beers each, and leaving $17 TOTAL and the girl is thrilled to bits...

Eric1285

Ready to race!
:thumbsup:

It's always good to tip if you plan on ordering from that place again, people that stiff always get their food last and sometimes it gets messed with too.

Also, unless you tip really well, never order 5 minutes before the store closes, that may result in tampered food as well.:barf:

For sure. That's why I'm a more generous tipper when it comes to delivery - it can actually influence the level of service you get, cause I figure they make notes of it in the computer or the delivery drivers can remember a particular address more easily than a server can remember a face. There were a handful of places that I used order from a lot in college that would literally have my food to me within 15 minutes, no matter how big of an order I placed.

angrybaker

banned
^ thats for sure....but on the other hand, but you are getting something from your tips. Better service. I just hate it when servers expect a large tip just based on check size.

FWIW, I used to deliver pizzas, and yes, we all talk and share the good and bad tippers houses. I promise you, if you tip shitty, your food is getting spit on. One guy used to rub his cock on bad tippers cokes. Something to keep in mind i guess.

On a whole I tip well for good service, but I am not afraid to tip nothing for bad service. A tip is a reward to good service, not a socially mandated thing.
________
Giuseppe Farina
________
PerfectMadame live

Last edited:

smashingpimp01

Back on L.I.
i say rubbing your cock on a coke is pointless if the person doesn't know it happens. I say, you deliver the pizza and the coke, and then whip out your junk and start rubbing it all over everything. That will get the point across.

kev24k

Go Kart Champion
I think people are way too nice. In almost every other profession if you do a bad job you get fired. If you are waiting tables, and you do a bad job, you are allowed to complain about bad tippers? Are people serious? I went to Samurai (a restaurant with hibachis) and the waitress who brings the drinks/salad was TERRIBLE. Having to ask to have my water refilled repeatedly w/out it being done is an immediate tip killer. What do these people expect? Do a bad job yet still get tipped? So I left her a penny tip so she knows how bad it was, and as I'm walking out the door the crazy bitch chased me and said she was calling the police because I didn't tip her enough. I told her to do a better job and maybe she would get paid. I swear to God people in this country have NO IDEA what a shitty job is like. Waiting tables is not a difficult job.

I tip a penny for shit service. If I tip you a penny, its because the service was INCREDIBLY bad and you need to find a new job. I don't care if you are having a bad day. I have bad days at work too, and I don't treat people like shit. There is this new thing called EFFORT. It works wonders.
15% for average. Average is the normal attitude u find from waiters. Bored, and just trying to finish their shift. Asks if you need anything once during the meal.
About 20-25% for great. Being/pretending to be happy. Not waiting forever for anything. Attentive, but not intrusive during the meal. Food comes out warm/hot.
30%++ for amazing service. This means they bent over backwards. I have never tipped like this in chilis, outback, etc. Those places don't ever do past a great job. Only upscale places do. Meat is cooked perfectly, order is perfect, everything arrives hot and not warm, water glass is always filled, attentive, light conversation, and putting forth real effort for any special orders/requests.

I may be harsh, but I'm not a charity. I'm never going to give my money away just because someone has it harder financially than I do.

Khobin~

Go Kart Champion
You've obviously never served tables then. If I got 10 dollars on a 100 dollar check I would be pissed as shit. It's a lot of work because where I work if you have a 100 dollar check you have at least 11 people in your party. So that means I'm taking care of you as well as about 5 other tables if we're busy. I would almost want to follow them out of the restaurant and bitch them out.

Well that depends on your definition of serving... I have worked in restaurants as a cook, I can tell you the servers made teh same hourly wage as I did, and I got no tips, but was busting my ass harder then they were most days, being the mid afternoon and me having to prep and clean to prepare the supper rush while they sat around and chatted mostly.

Like I said, I tip according to the level of service I get.

Sunday we had lunch at Outback... we got there at 1, the place had 2 other tables, 1 server. She sat us quickly, but then it took like 15 minutes for us to get a drink... the food was good, but I sat there for another 10minutes waiting for a refill, The bill was around $35, I tipped her $3.50. To me it was about average service for what you get around here when a restaurant is actually busy...

Technically a tip is a gift... ergo the amount recieved should not be expected, but rather appreciated. The fact that you would consider bitching out a group of people for not leaving you enough is pretty pathetic. If you feeel underappreciated, then perhaps you should find a different job. :wink:

julito04

I plead the fif.
I tip 25% or over if its average to great no matter what. If they are lacking, not caring, takes them a while, or I can see them in the corner chatting with other servers or taking care of other tables substantially more then me(so they can get a better tip) then I will tip VERY low. I used to be a server and know what its like to have to eat and put a roof over my head with tips, so I know what it takes to get a good tip and if I dont think you did a good job, or even ok. I will tip bad bc thats how I feal I was treated.

davesee

FIA GT Champion
I really think the whole concept of tipping should be done away with, similar to Europe

The restaurant should decide what to pay their employees

Tips could still be allowed, but not necessary.

I realize this would result in an increase in costs of items on the menu

I process payroll for a few bar/restaurant places and see the take home pay of a lot of tipped employees and it would amaze you to see the range of incomes.

.....plus all the extra work a person in my field of work has to do in processing reported tips

ahh well, everything would be great in a perfect world where people got paid what they deserved

MagicChic

GolfMKV Madame
This statement kind of irks me. Since when is it a customers objective to wow you with money? Do you wow them with service? The only time I ever tip extremely well is when I go to a bar and after ordering 3 drinks each (at $8-10 a piece) the bartender starts giving us buy-backs. You can expect to get the cost of those drinks in tip for doing that. If all you're doing it bringing out the food, bringing out the drinks, and doing it in a timely fashion then I really don't see how you could be expecting an extremely large tip... you are doing your job.

If you would have read the rest of my post, then you would understand what I meant, and it probably wouldn't have irritated you. To tell you the truth, I consider myself to be a damn good server. Tonight for example, I waited on a 9 table station, all booths & 4 top tables. Everyone else in the restaurant (all the servers) had a 4 table station. I didn't receive below a 20% tip from ANY of them, and I was running around like mad. But I still managed to keep everyone perfectly content & even stop and chit-chat and make jokes with the tables. Everyone got their appetizers, salads and soups almost immediately after they ordered them, and their food within 15 minutes of getting their appetizers. No one had to ask me for a refill because I bring a whole new glass when theirs are half empty. I don't do this with alcoholic beverages, I always ask first if they would like another. I did have one table that asked for no BBQ sauce on her food, and the kitchen screwed it up and she got it anyway, she was upset, but I got the management to approve me giving them a free dessert. They left happy, and tipped me 30%.

BossDuB27

Illuminati
I usually leave around 10% for bad service but once I left $0.01 the lady was just a bitch...25%-30% for good and 40-50% for excellent. Plus if she's hot she gets a number :wink: hahah

LeesburgMKV

gold n' black
I think people are way too nice. In almost every other profession if you do a bad job you get fired. If you are waiting tables, and you do a bad job, you are allowed to complain about bad tippers? Are people serious? I went to Samurai (a restaurant with hibachis) and the waitress who brings the drinks/salad was TERRIBLE. Having to ask to have my water refilled repeatedly w/out it being done is an immediate tip killer. What do these people expect? Do a bad job yet still get tipped? So I left her a penny tip so she knows how bad it was, and as I'm walking out the door the crazy bitch chased me and said she was calling the police because I didn't tip her enough. I told her to do a better job and maybe she would get paid. I swear to God people in this country have NO IDEA what a shitty job is like. Waiting tables is not a difficult job.

I tip a penny for shit service. If I tip you a penny, its because the service was INCREDIBLY bad and you need to find a new job. I don't care if you are having a bad day. I have bad days at work too, and I don't treat people like shit. There is this new thing called EFFORT. It works wonders.
15% for average. Average is the normal attitude u find from waiters. Bored, and just trying to finish their shift. Asks if you need anything once during the meal.
About 20-25% for great. Being/pretending to be happy. Not waiting forever for anything. Attentive, but not intrusive during the meal. Food comes out warm/hot.
30%++ for amazing service. This means they bent over backwards. I have never tipped like this in chilis, outback, etc. Those places don't ever do past a great job. Only upscale places do. Meat is cooked perfectly, order is perfect, everything arrives hot and not warm, water glass is always filled, attentive, light conversation, and putting forth real effort for any special orders/requests.

I may be harsh, but I'm not a charity. I'm never going to give my money away just because someone has it harder financially than I do.

My point exactly.

lol jk

LeesburgMKV

gold n' black
Well that depends on your definition of serving... I have worked in restaurants as a cook, I can tell you the servers made teh same hourly wage as I did, and I got no tips, but was busting my ass harder then they were most days, being the mid afternoon and me having to prep and clean to prepare the supper rush while they sat around and chatted mostly.

Like I said, I tip according to the level of service I get.

Sunday we had lunch at Outback... we got there at 1, the place had 2 other tables, 1 server. She sat us quickly, but then it took like 15 minutes for us to get a drink... the food was good, but I sat there for another 10minutes waiting for a refill, The bill was around $35, I tipped her $3.50. To me it was about average service for what you get around here when a restaurant is actually busy...

Technically a tip is a gift... ergo the amount recieved should not be expected, but rather appreciated. The fact that you would consider bitching out a group of people for not leaving you enough is pretty pathetic. If you feeel underappreciated, then perhaps you should find a different job. :wink:

That situation at outback is pretty damn bad. I consider that horrible service. I give very great service and people complement my service to the managers all the time. Which is why I am a manager now. I had a lady I served the other day go up to my co worker the other day and ask who the manager was. He pointed at me and she said "wow I just wanted to say that he's the best waiter we've ever had". So I personally consider that crappy service so you were right to tip 3.50.

I didn't follow people for not tipping enough. I followed people who did not tip at all. I provided them with great service as well. When I don't manage I make 2.13/hour.

MagicChic

GolfMKV Madame
I worked at Denny's, years ago, and this one couple gave one of the servers a tip, all in change. I think it was like $.40 in pennies. She scooped them up, followed them out the door, and said "Excuse me." they turned around and said "Yes?" she threw the change at their feet and said "Obviously you need this more than I do. Have a nice night." and walked back inside. Yeah, they called later and complained. The manager said "Well, if you thought that her service was that bad, you shouldn't have tipped her at all." Again, it was Denny's, and that particular store didn't give two shits about customer service. I laughed.