GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tip Talk

Remus6

ViVa La Fuga!WLF
It's not customary to tip in Asia either. I was actually told that in some places it was considered rude.

Yes, I believe in Japan it is considered rude. However, I find it that whenever I visit other nations, it is important that we "adjust" to their customs. Otherwise, you could end up in a place you wouldn't want to be in.

Same goes for visitors from foreign nations in to the United States. I think that they too should adjust to what we consider is the norm in our country. It's the civilized thing to do.:thumbsup:

Eric1285

Ready to race!
Yes, I believe in Japan it is considered rude. However, I find it that whenever I visit other nations, it is important that we "adjust" to their customs. Otherwise, you could end up in a place you wouldn't want to be in.

Same goes for visitors from foreign nations in to the United States. I think that they too should adjust to what we consider is the norm in our country. It's the civilized thing to do.:thumbsup:

Sure, but sometimes they just don't know about it. You can't expect visitors to know every American custom.

My parents immigrated here in 1982, and back then 15% was considered a pretty good tip. That's what they were told, and that's what they've been doing ever since. The concept of tipping was new to them, so they didn't quite understand what it's for. They also haven't exactly kept "up to date" with the latest in tipping etiquette, so when I told them that 15% was actually slightly below average nowadays they were surprised.

Remus6

ViVa La Fuga!WLF
Sure, but sometimes they just don't know about it. You can't expect visitors to know every American custom.

My parents immigrated here in 1982, and back then 15% was considered a pretty good tip. That's what they were told, and that's what they've been doing ever since. The concept of tipping was new to them, so they didn't quite understand what it's for. They also haven't exactly kept "up to date" with the latest in tipping etiquette, so when I told them that 15% was actually slightly below average nowadays they were surprised.

I agree with you. But tipping isn't exactly an obscure practice. And your parents tipping 10% isn't bad because they didn't know that 15% is low. Completely NOT tipping is not acceptable. That's why in Hawaii, almost every restaurant you go to, especially in the Waikiki area, servers will put that FYI card about tipping (translated in Japanese). It would be like me going to Europe throwing the peace sign with the finger nails showing. It is the equivalent of the bird here in the US. But, that's not really obscure information, though.

All I have to say is, if you're gonna visit a foreign country, wouldn't you at least try to educate your self in what is commonly accepted and not accepted there? There is the internet. And if you don't use that, there are book stores that give you basic etiquette of other countries. If you don't want to buy those books, there is the library.

I think that too many times, people go to other countries ignorant of their customs and cultures. That is just sad and embarrassing. It would be in your best interest to learn what you can before visiting because you could get in to trouble. I really hate that "Oh, I didn't know," as an excuse because that just shows how ignorant people can be. And that's not just Americans, but foreigners who visit here too.

Just my 2 cents.

MagicChic

GolfMKV Madame
For those of you saying tips depend on race...I find that to be true SOMETIMES. I always give everyone equal service because you just never know. A lot of asian people came out last night for dinner, I am assuming they don't do anything for Halloween, so we had a ton of them last night. Which is perfectly fine with me, because I have honestly NEVER had asian people tip me poorly. I heard numerous servers complain last night that their tables of asian people were tipping them awful. Mine had a $30 check and they left me $10. I also had a group of teenagers a couple years back that had a $70 bill and they gave me a $60 tip. I came back and said "I think you overtipped me." The guy that paid said "No, keep it. You deserved it." I told him I couldn't accept it, that I didn't feel I was THAT deserving and he told me I underestimate myself and left. lol.
A lot of indian people tip poorly too. I get 50/50 on african americans, some tip well, some poor. But, it's the same thing with white people too. Like those fuckers last night that seemed to be an upper middle class family tipping $3 on $40...God that still makes me mad!

LeesburgMKV

gold n' black
this is probably one of the most interesting threads i have ever read. Anyways. i believe a waiters tip is based on their performance. I understand you busy but the thing i hate the most. is sometimes you will have your waiter/waitress walk right past you to the table next to you.. drop the food off and pass your table again without even askin you if you need anything or if everything is okay or " your food will be here in a min " i absolutely hate that. and having to flag you waiter/waitress down is i think the worst possible thing ever. if you cant pay attention to a table then your obviously telling me straight up " tip me bad.. i dont know how to do my job " i tip waiters/waitresses if they come and check up on me once in a while and i sometimes will even give you a 50% or even more tip if you engage a conversation and be able to manage it.

I went to a bar the other day during the day.. it was me and 3 of my other buddies. and we had a waitress that obviously knew what she was doing. she came up to us joking around with us and made us laugh and everything and after we ate our food she even went out for a cigarette with us and talked to us and stuff. i swear the coolist waitress ever. anyways our bill came out to like 35.07. we left her about 20ish $ i think. she was just great and knew what she was doing.

This is exactly what I do and it has proven to appeal to most people. I come to the table ask how "we're" doing and introduce myself. I start with drinks and offer appetizers. Unless I am ridiculously busy my tables have their drinks in less than a minute. I provide straws and ask if they are ready to order or if they need more time to look over the menus. If there is room for a joke or small talk then I jump on it. I then bring salads/apps as soon as they come out. I check on them after around 3-5 minutes to make sure that the food is alright. Then I bring out the en tree's and clear out plates and provide re-fills. After 3-5 minutes I stop by to make sure that the food is good and then periodically check on them or if I see an empty glass I refill it. After that offer dessert or drop off check/boxes.

Sometimes it's hard to talk to certain tables because it seems as though some people purposely go out to eat in a bad mood so there's really nothing you can do to make them happy.

MagicChic

GolfMKV Madame
When serving, you DEFINITELY get a feel for the people you're serving. Especially after doing it for so long. You can tell which tables want you to entertain them, and which ones just want to eat and leave. No chit-chat. It's very rare that I come across a table I can't read.

Leesburg, don't you hate those people that come in and tell you "I've had a really bad day."? It's like "Okay, I'm a server...not a shrink." I always say to them "Well, I will do what I possibly can to make your day better." it works most of the time...just by being super sweet and on-top of what they need.

I felt bad for this lady that came in the other day. She was staying at the hotel next door. Her father died 3 months ago, she came up here from FL and stayed at this hotel because it was close to her mothers' nursing home, whom is dying. As soon as she got there, she got a call saying they rushed her to a hospital that is 30 minutes away. She hadn't slept for like 3 days straight. I felt horrible for her...but there wasn't much I could do for her.

Have you ever waited on a homeless person?