GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Travel assist and emergency assist errors

Markyc

So today my Golf 8 was in the workshop for a couple hours were the steering wheel was replaced..
Lets see if this fixes those annoying travel assist and emergency assist Bongssss😂😂👍
One good thing is i have a new steering wheel😉.
View attachment 240925
My car went in yesterday and new wheel has been ordered but on back order they said wheels ordered middle of last year have not yet arrived how long did you wait for yours to be replaced ?

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Since I bought my Golf GTE two and a half years ago it’s been back to the dealer at least six times to sort various software issues including a replacement steering wheel. Silly me, I thought everything had been sorted. Today on a duel carriageway I had the cruise control set at 70 mph and then it randomly slowed to 44 mph then back to 70 then 37 then 70 then 44 - you get the picture. WTF 🤬. Why would it start suddenly doing this nonsense again?

Wallop

Go Kart Newbie
Since I bought my Golf GTE two and a half years ago it’s been back to the dealer at least six times to sort various software issues including a replacement steering wheel. Silly me, I thought everything had been sorted. Today on a duel carriageway I had the cruise control set at 70 mph and then it randomly slowed to 44 mph then back to 70 then 37 then 70 then 44 - you get the picture. WTF 🤬. Why would it start suddenly doing this nonsense again?
Mine had one of those out of the blue wobbly days last week for the first time in ages,First the temp had set itself to 22 on both sides and when you knocked it down it went back to 22,That sorted a few miles up the road before i noticed the speed on the hud briefly doing the mph/kph malarkey again.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion

Went for a drive this morning to see if I could replicate the adaptive cruise control issues I had yesterday. Drove in lots of different speed limits and it maintained the correct speed in every limit. Only once did it misbehave when it failed to recognise a derestriction sign when leaving a 30 mph limited village.

I guess like most computers if things aren’t working properly it’s advised to turn the bloody thing off, go for a coffee, and then turn it back on again. I think VW computers are particularly mental and need to be turned off over night.

I won’t be surprised that in a few days time the problem returns. At this point, if it was a laptop, I would throw it out the window. Unfortunately I don’t have a Golf sized window 🙄.

Gbombs

Went for a drive this morning to see if I could replicate the adaptive cruise control issues I had yesterday. Drove in lots of different speed limits and it maintained the correct speed in every limit. Only once did it misbehave when it failed to recognise a derestriction sign when leaving a 30 mph limited village.

I guess like most computers if things aren’t working properly it’s advised to turn the bloody thing off, go for a coffee, and then turn it back on again. I think VW computers are particularly mental and need to be turned off over night.

I won’t be surprised that in a few days time the problem returns. At this point, if it was a laptop, I would throw it out the window. Unfortunately I don’t have a Golf sized window 🙄.
Got my 2021 Golf GTi Clubsport a week ago. Having enjoyed several golf GTIs over the years I was really looking forward to this car but it is with the garage now for Travel Assist & Emergency Assist errors already.
To be fair the garage phoned me within 3 hours & have identified the faults, ordered a new steering wheel & advised me how best to proceed until it arrives from the factory. ** likely to be 2 months ** Now I expect to struggle with software on my iPad/iPhone but a Golf GTi ???

SimonGC

Passed Driver's Ed
After an update to 1890 and a new steering wheel about 6 months ago I had been free of errors and adaptive cruise MPH/KPH problems but, like Maturedriver and Wallop, over the last couple of weeks the dreaded MPH/KPH has returned on several occasions. It bounces between the two for a while eventually settling on KPH, the only cure then, is to switch the ignition on and off. I had stupidly thought the car was sorted at long last, should have known better. What a crap experience this vehicle ahs turned out to be.

slkmaniac

My car went in yesterday and new wheel has been ordered but on back order they said wheels ordered middle of last year have not yet arrived how long did you wait for yours to be replaced ?
Mine was ordered in October last year and still no sign. I've been talking to VW UK and they have told me that they are no longer fitting new steering wheels as they can now just replace the faulty module. He said they are expecting these new modules to be available to UK dealers by the end of May. But I'm not holding my breath :-( I wish I'd bought a M-B A35 instead.

Idiotwind

Passed Driver's Ed
This had been fixed in 2021 by a new steering wheel but in the last month has returned and is getting worse. The constant binging is driving me crazy.
I will book it in for a repair but this is going to take some time - is there anyway to turn off the alarms in the meantime, before I take a hammer to the steering wheel!

Corkob

The steering wheel on my GTI was replaced last year because of the Travel Assist fault. Fixed it for 9 months now it’s back again. It’s desperately annoying. This will be my last VW.

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
When our’s was replaced in early 2021, I naively thought the new one was an improved design. Obviously not…. A year later and the same warnings.

clubsport452021

Mine was ordered in October last year and still no sign. I've been talking to VW UK and they have told me that they are no longer fitting new steering wheels as they can now just replace the faulty module. He said they are expecting these new modules to be available to UK dealers by the end of May. But I'm not holding my breath :-( I wish I'd bought a M-B A35 instead.

This had been fixed in 2021 by a new steering wheel but in the last month has returned and is getting worse. The constant binging is driving me crazy.
I will book it in for a repair but this is going to take some time - is there anyway to turn off the alarms in the meantime, before I take a hammer to the steering wheel!

The steering wheel on my GTI was replaced last year because of the Travel Assist fault. Fixed it for 9 months now it’s back again. It’s desperately annoying. This will be my last VW.

When our’s was replaced in early 2021, I naively thought the new one was an improved design. Obviously not…. A year later and the same warnings.

This isn't helping my Emergency/Travel Assist anxiety. I waited 6 weeks for the wrong steering wheel to be sent to the dealer and another week for the correct one to arrive. No issues since but reading this it may never be over. They really dropped a bollock with the MK8...ID3 etc.

I've said in a previous post, if it wasn't for the driving ability of the CS I'd be out.....should have put up with the M2 Comp's hard ride.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
This isn't helping my Emergency/Travel Assist anxiety. I waited 6 weeks for the wrong steering wheel to be sent to the dealer and another week for the correct one to arrive. No issues since but reading this it may never be over. They really dropped a bollock with the MK8...ID3 etc.

I've said in a previous post, if it wasn't for the driving ability of the CS I'd be out.....should have put up with the M2 Comp's hard ride.

Agree, VW (and the wider VAG) really do seem to have dropped the ball with the software / hardware in the current generation of MQB-based cars. I read of one instance recently on the Golf R forum where a forum member’s car is either on its third steering wheel or is waiting for its third steering wheel.

The driving ability of VW’s performance cars is a big positive, but I think would sacrifice some of that driving ability for software / hardware that’s fit for purpose.

Idiotwind

Passed Driver's Ed

I’m now waiting for my second steering wheel replacement with no timeframe beyond ‘a while’. Having said that the issue has currently gone away again on own accord for the last 2 months but I live in fear of it returning…

p.eTSI

Passed Driver's Ed
So today my Golf 8 was in the workshop for a couple hours were the steering wheel was replaced..
Lets see if this fixes those annoying travel assist and emergency assist Bongssss😂😂👍
One good thing is i have a new steering wheel😉.
View attachment 240925
18 months on, how is your new steering wheel and did the replacement wheel banish those annoying travel assist and emergency assist warnings?
@Massimo 2323

Last edited:

rayaans

Ready to race!
So ours is a 23 plate and not sure its a steering wheel issue.

Its just done it the first time today where I turned the car on and it said "steering wheel heating error" and then one by one travel assist error, maneuvering brake error, ACC error. Drove it home and turned it off, wouldnt lock at all with the key or the handle button. Waited for few mins and it worked. Any ideas?