GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Travel assist and emergency assist errors

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Actually I have just received a new steering wheel again about a month ago. The TA and EA faults started again in July 2023. Hopefully this newer steering wheel does the job this time around.

p.eTSI

Passed Driver's Ed
Actually I have just received a new steering wheel again about a month ago. The TA and EA faults started again in July 2023. Hopefully this newer steering wheel does the job this time around.
Thanks for your reply.

That's staggering. 2 new steering wheels in 18 months after the persistent problem.

How do VW carry out test drives with prospective buyers when these bongs will be going off during the demonstration? :ROFLMAO:

Lewb

This just started on mine.

On the 8th September I started having this problem and my warranty was Up on the 18th of September.

I called them on the 8th and booked in for the next available appointment which was yesterday 16th October. I asked if it would all be ok because the appointment was after the warranty expired and the girl on the phone said it would be fine as I rang before it expired.

Fast forward to yesterday and they will not fix it under warranty as the appointment was after the warranty expired. I said it wasn't my fault that the appointment was so far away and told them what the girl said but they flat out said no.

They quoted me around £1500 for a new steering wheel.

Is it worth paying it if some people are still getting the errors after getting a new steering wheel?

I'm not sure what to do. Could it be fixed with a software update even if I don't go for the new steering wheel?

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
So first off £1500 is crazy money when the new steering wheel costs around £300-350. They keep the existing airbag and the buttons.
I have heard of those that got the steering wheel exchanged when out of warranty and VW would not charge for the part but only for the installation job.
Now another way would be to disable the travel assist and the klr steering wheel setting via obd11 which should stop the faults appearing. But that would mean you would not have the travel assist feature anymore.
I Have not tested it myself but a few that had the TA/EA faults have done so and it seems to work.
Or you could swap the klr module behind the airbag of the steering wheel with a hacked module, you keep the travel assist function plus no more error messages and no more hands on message either.
Obviously for safety reasons I would still keep my hands on the steering wheel;).

This is the klr module:
Module for Steering Touch sensor.png

Last edited:

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
This just started on mine.

On the 8th September I started having this problem and my warranty was Up on the 18th of September.

I called them on the 8th and booked in for the next available appointment which was yesterday 16th October. I asked if it would all be ok because the appointment was after the warranty expired and the girl on the phone said it would be fine as I rang before it expired.

Fast forward to yesterday and they will not fix it under warranty as the appointment was after the warranty expired. I said it wasn't my fault that the appointment was so far away and told them what the girl said but they flat out said no.

They quoted me around £1500 for a new steering wheel.

Is it worth paying it if some people are still getting the errors after getting a new steering wheel?

I'm not sure what to do. Could it be fixed with a software update even if I don't go for the new steering wheel?
That sucks. Hindsight’s a wonderful thing, but maybe it would have been worth getting the dealership to confirm by email that it would’ve been covered under warranty at the time you booked your car in. I agree with @Massimo 2323; the price quoted for installing a new steering wheel seems extortionate.

From a personal perspective, with all the issues that have affected the mk8 Golf since its launch, I don’t think I’d want to own one outside the warranty period. Before the original 3 year new car warranty expired I’d have been researching to see if VW’s extended warranty and / or their ‘All In‘ product (2 years warranty, 2 services, 2 years roadside breakdown cover and 2 MOT’s) and other aftermarket warranties would cover such things as fixing TE / EA faults. If they didn’t, then I’d have seriously considered selling the car and buying something different. That’s just me though and as individuals we‘re all different.

I think it’s been asked before on this forum but I wonder if VW will start charging customers for software fixes for cars once they’re out of warranty? 🤔

Lewb

So first off £1500 is crazy money when the new steering wheel costs around £300-350. They keep the existing airbag and the buttons.
I have heard of those that got the steering wheel exchanged when out of warranty and VW would not charge for the part but only for the installation job.
Now another way would be to disable the travel assist and the klr steering wheel setting via obd11 which should stop the faults appearing. But that would mean you would not have the travel assist feature anymore.
I Have not tested it myself but a few that had the TA/EA faults have done so and it seems to work.
Or you could swap the klr module behind the airbag of the steering wheel with a hacked module, you keep the travel assist function plus no more error messages and no more hands on message either.
Obviously for safety reasons I would still keep my hands on the steering wheel;).

This is the klr module:
View attachment 293602

I did search around for steering wheels on the internet and could see a few for £300-£400 and I did mention to the VW garage is that an option but they said no because i would need to code it all in. My girlfriend's dad knows a lot and works on cars but not sure if he would be able to code it

You mentioned to disable the travel assist with the odb, my friend has one so that could be a possibility. What's everything I would lose though?

With the hacked module, is it just a case of buying something like that from a website or something? Is it easy to fit them?

Lewb

Also I read somewhere that some VW dealers are not replacing the steering wheel now and just the module. So you think it's worth asking them to do that? I wonder if that will be significantly cheaper?

I assume they would have suggested that to me today when I said I wasn't paying the £1500

clubsport452021

I’m now waiting for my second steering wheel replacement with no timeframe beyond ‘a while’. Having said that the issue has currently gone away again on own accord for the last 2 months but I live in fear of it returning…

Mine has been with VW twice for gearbox error - 2 new gear selector "solenoid" clunks when engaging gear. Threw my bricks out with VW and said I want a performance golf on loan until it's fixed in the short term and longer term I want an MY22 car (or one where the issues were ironed out), doesn't have to be new, to replace my car. As you all know it's one thing after another with this car.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
I am extending the warranty and was told that any software update was not included.
In regards to what work needs to be done they need to follow the TPI by the letter unless told otherwise by VW Germany. And the fix in the TPI is to swap the existing steering wheel with p/n 5H0419089xx-xxx with a revised p/n 5H0419093y-yyy. Also with the new revised TPI no coding is needed to fit the new steering wheel. So remove the airbag, remove the steering wheel then the trim with the multifunction button set. Install the existing trim with the multifunction button set on the new steering wheel and install the wheel then install the existing airbag.
It should take them at most 1/2 an hour.
Here is a table with the necessary Tpi based on the Pr-codes of the car (European market):
Steering Wheel Exchange.png

Lewb

I'm getting these parking control errors now. Is it the same thing as the travel assist errors where it's caused by the faulty steering wheel?

1000026544.jpg

Lewb

I am extending the warranty and was told that any software update was not included.
In regards to what work needs to be done they need to follow the TPI by the letter unless told otherwise by VW Germany. And the fix in the TPI is to swap the existing steering wheel with p/n 5H0419089xx-xxx with a revised p/n 5H0419093y-yyy. Also with the new revised TPI no coding is needed to fit the new steering wheel. So remove the airbag, remove the steering wheel then the trim with the multifunction button set. Install the existing trim with the multifunction button set on the new steering wheel and install the wheel then install the existing airbag.
It should take them at most 1/2 an hour.
Here is a table with the necessary Tpi based on the Pr-codes of the car (European market):
View attachment 293646
When you was getting the travel assist error, was you also getting the parking/manoeuvring error too? Are they all linked to the steering wheel?

Hichh

This is the klr module:
View attachment 293602
Hi Massimo,

Do you know how I can disable the travel assist with OBD11 ?

Thanks