GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Travel assist and emergency assist errors

p.eTSI

Passed Driver's Ed
Does anyone have experience of how VW are handling software issues for cars that are out of warranty? I might be in the market for a 2 or 3 year old next year.
Drop me a PM closer to the time, our low miles eTSI 150 Style DSG might be available (UK based), a 21 plate with a very high spec/options ticked - took many months to find... (18" Dallas Wheels, Rear View Camera, Winter Pack, Digital Key, Keyless Entry, Front & Rear Mud Flaps, Rear Tinted Glass (b-pillar backwards)).

That said, perhaps due to global supply issues/COVID, values seem to have held strong and so might be to our advantage to hold on for longer than planned.

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
I suspect that may be the issue - manufacture was October 2020, so before the issues arose, I think? or was this known about earlier in 2020?
Our Mk8 Style was exhibiting the ‘lane assist / travel assist not available’ error from October / November 2020.

After asking the dealer about rejecting (the car was only 5 months old) they took it in to try to fix it in December 2020. But they were completely flummoxed, and it was only in early January that VW Germany came back to them and told them to replace the steering wheel. Ours was the first one they’d had with this fault.

After replacing it, all was well until the faults re-appeared during the winter of 2022/23. We traded it in in June 2023 (for an ID.3) while it was still awaiting a second replacement steering wheel.

Richops

Getting travel assist warning coming up all time now anyone either managed to turn the travel assist off permanently or no how to fix it ? Maybe even fixed it themselves

coruro

I suspect that may be the issue - manufacture was October 2020, so before the issues arose, I think? or was this known about earlier in 2020?
Any specific bit of Consumer Righrs Act I should be referring them to/quoting?
To be honest I scoured the net on all forums, as far back as I could find, including one post on a forum that a garage gave the customer a copy of their fault and stated on there about the TPI Notice they posted a pic and I screenshotted it. Which means they knew about the issue for there to be a TPI.

I basically went mental and said I suffer with mental health problems (I do and repetitive noises are like torture to me) I have a child with multiple disabilities and uncontrollable noise sets him off screaming (he is non verbal) I basically threatened them with Damages and likened it to sound torture used in warfare (yes I actually stated this), only quoted the consumer rights act everything that's on Which? Consumer Rights Act 2015, said it meant it wasn't fit for purpose, of satisfactory quality and it couldn't be repaired within a reasonable time frame (quoted me 5 months) also if they already have repaired yours then they have used their 'opportunity of repair' under the CRA if the fault returns after this you are entitled to return for a refund but this is usually minus fair wear and tear/usage or a replacement.

oh before I did this I did ask if it could be turned off, a reasonable request? to be told no, had it been able to be turned off, I would have kept the vehicle and awaited the 5 month steering wheel replacement.

Also they tried to blag me it wasn't a fault, but the Dealership sent me a video of their vehicle check stating it was a fault and there was a replacement part to rectify (again meaning they knew about it) and also tried to argue I needed to 'prove' it was a fault before time of delivery, which I did with the forum screenshots and its across the whole VW range, not limited to Tigs (clearly).

I told them I would go motor ombudsman and trading standards, they didn't like it and offered to 'investigate and get back to me the end of the week' By that time I had the offer of a refund and an agreement to sign that I wouldn't pursue in future.

Last edited:

satel

Passed Driver's Ed
To be honest I scoured the net on all forums, as far back as I could find, including one post on a forum that a garage gave the customer a copy of their fault and stated on there about the TPI Notice they posted a pic and I screenshotted it. Which means they knew about the issue for there to be a TPI.

I basically went mental and said I suffer with mental health problems (I do and repetitive noises are like torture to me) I have a child with multiple disabilities and uncontrollable noise sets him off screaming (he is non verbal) I basically threatened them with Damages and likened it to sound torture used in warfare (yes I actually stated this), only quoted the consumer rights act everything that's on Which? Consumer Rights Act 2015, said it meant it wasn't fit for purpose, of satisfactory quality and it couldn't be repaired within a reasonable time frame (quoted me 5 months) also if they already have repaired yours then they have used their 'opportunity of repair' under the CRA if the fault returns after this you are entitled to return for a refund but this is usually minus fair wear and tear/usage or a replacement.

oh before I did this I did ask if it could be turned off, a reasonable request? to be told no, had it been able to be turned off, I would have kept the vehicle and awaited the 5 month steering wheel replacement.

Also they tried to blag me it wasn't a fault, but the Dealership sent me a video of their vehicle check stating it was a fault and there was a replacement part to rectify (again meaning they knew about it) and also tried to argue I needed to 'prove' it was a fault before time of delivery, which I did with the forum screenshots and its across the whole VW range, not limited to Tigs (clearly).

I told them I would go motor ombudsman and trading standards, they didn't like it and offered to 'investigate and get back to me the end of the week' By that time I had the offer of a refund and an agreement to sign that I wouldn't pursue in future.
Bravo !!

Sergio MV

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi guys I have my Golf again with the second steering wheel and it seems that solved the problem, the dealer told me that the piece in the steering wheel exactly that have the problem is just inside the left buttons ( see the image) hope you can solution it too
IMG_2247.jpeg

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
I had a new steering wheel fitted some while ago due to inoperative SOS and Travel Assist warnings appearing on the dash plus the annoying ‘bongs’. Blow me (which nowadays has a different meaning😳) the warnings and ‘bongs’ have returned with a vengeance. I guess another steering wheel is required. I hope it is covered by my VW extended warranty.

Sergio MV

Passed Driver's Ed
I had a new steering wheel fitted some while ago due to inoperative SOS and Travel Assist warnings appearing on the dash plus the annoying ‘bongs’. Blow me (which nowadays has a different meaning😳) the warnings and ‘bongs’ have returned with a vengeance. I guess another steering wheel is required. I hope it is covered by my VW extended warranty.
Yes, the solution is a new steering wheel 100% because in my case VW was changed a lot of pieces before and it kept failing likewise, then finally changed the steering wheel. I don’t know if the warranty post-3rd year cover this because I was at the end of 3rd year luckly, but tell us when you know that please. Good luck!

Last edited:

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
I get the feeling VW have not made any improvements to the steering wheel to stop these warnings and bongs appearing. After all, I had no issues with the first steering wheel for about a year. The wheel was replaced which sorted it but now about a year later I am having issues again. If VW have not found a cure for this problem new steering wheels will become an annual event.

Sergio MV

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes but in my case, the new bongs appear just after instaling the new software in the VW dealer on August 23, now I think that I won’t upgrade anymore

stinkykitten

I'm having the same problem. So the solution is to change the steering wheel? I bought the car around 5months ago I really don't want to pay to get my steering wheel fix -_-
How much is the whole process cost?
I really appreciate everyone's help 🙏

Sergio MV

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm having the same problem. So the solution is to change the steering wheel? I bought the car around 5months ago I really don't want to pay to get my steering wheel fix -_-
How much is the whole process cost?
I really appreciate everyone's help 🙏
The only solution is that we commented before, you have to change the steering wheel after the last infotaintment software update just in case, no more, trust me. This cost is free cause you have three year warranty in Europe, when it ends I don’t know the costs.