GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ye Olde Smoker Thread

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I always use a drip pan with water and some apple cider.

You think better to not

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Ok well it’s on. Another question since it’s my first time using a wireless temp probe.
Should I trust the dome temp, or the probe temp?
It’s been on for about 30 min and dome temp is a touch over 250 and probe temp has been hanging around high 230’s.
Should I bump up the grill temp to about 275 to compensate? Or am I overthinking all of this? Lol.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
I always use a drip pan with water and some apple cider.

You think better to not

The one time I used a drip pain the pork stalled. I don’t care if my deflector plates get messy. I don’t cook on them lol.

Ok well it’s on. Another question since it’s my first time using a wireless temp probe.
Should I trust the dome temp, or the probe temp?
It’s been on for about 30 min and dome temp is a touch over 250 and probe temp has been hanging around high 230’s.
Should I bump up the grill temp to about 275 to compensate? Or am I overthinking all of this? Lol.

I’ve never used the grate temp probe so I can’t say for sure. I’m of the mindset that a 25* variance isn’t that significant at those temps. But I don’t think bumping it up a little will hurt.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
The one time I used a drip pain the pork stalled. I don’t care if my deflector plates get messy. I don’t cook on them lol.

I’ve never used the grate temp probe so I can’t say for sure. I’m of the mindset that a 25* variance isn’t that significant at those temps. But I don’t think bumping it up a little will hurt.
It’s the Meater wireless probe. Sticks directly in the meat for internal temp and then measures ambient temp as well.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Well I think the end result was great! However I did screw up the timing.
I probably could have let it cook unrapped for a little longer, or maybe just never wrapped it at all.
I pulled it at about 4.5 hrs when the temp was about 165. This was also around 1pm.
I thought I was going to have up to another 4 hours but it ended up finishing in Just 2.
Pulled it off around 3 and then wrapped it up in a towel and stuck it in a cooler till about 5:30.
The bone slid right out and I was able to just use my hands to shred it up.
So based on that, and the fact that it tasted good, I’d call it a success!

Before the grill:
IMG_7356.jpeg

And after:
IMG_7358.jpeg

Again this was a smaller one at 5.5lbs and I’m assuming that’s why it ended up not needing to cook for as long as I anticipated. It ended up just needing a little over 6 hours.
I also thought the outside was going to get a little crispier. When I hear the term “bark” that makes me think that there will be a crispy layer, but this was not the case.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
I reverse seared a tomahawk over the weekend. First time cooking this particular cut. On one hand, it was absolutely delicious. On the other hand, there was a lot of waste.

At 15.99/pound and 2.7 pounds, I’m pretty sure I’d have gotten just as much steak off a prime filet (my usual go to). And it would have ultimately been cheaper.

This was also the first time I threw a beef bone on and spread the marrow into the steak. Definitely heart healthy.

IMG_7728.jpeg

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
1000009632.jpg

More grilling than smoking, but some Kebobs.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
This was supposed to go in the oven, but it stopped working.
Chicken thighs with garlic, paprika, coriander, cumin, curry, Ginger etc. Some cut up potatoes, carrots & squash underneath.

So using the grill as an oven because isn't it the same?

20230918_141358.jpg

Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Absolutely! I use the gas grill as a warming drawer/overflow on Thanksgiving.

I'd have been worried using glass that close to a heat source though. Guess you kept it under 350?
It's right at 350.

And pyrex can usually withstand changes in temp

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Actually took a lot less time than oven. Usually 1hr 45min. Took only 1 hr 15min.
1000010790.jpg