GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ye Olde Smoker Thread

Daks

Autocross Champion
IMG_20230419_184846.jpg

Breasts on kettle. Indirect for about 20 mins with some apple and coals. Rest was on top of coals.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Prime filets on the KJ

98B530A3-F636-4F9E-9B99-92BD08C152F8.jpeg

Nice and hot for a quick sear.

05D4810A-60DF-4BD0-A916-D2184549D58E.jpeg

2 minutes each side, rotate after a minute.
C0D5AA2A-87E4-4BBF-A0D8-4BF58CB9823D.jpeg

After 4 minutes I move to the indirect side, shut the grill down, and let them cook for another 10 minutes. Time to pull and take inside to rest

24A422D4-2957-4DAE-BEDB-092FBF6905E2.jpeg

While the steaks rest, something green

F27CC060-7828-4E53-A68D-05F79B3CAF71.jpeg

Finally, dinner!!

C904ADEF-3C88-49B3-A630-DB39DF468A3E.jpeg

Autocross Champion
Wife bought me an Egg for fathers day. I'm here for inspiration.
I've only ever used charcoal Weber's, and never really grilled much more than your typical burger, chicken, etc.....

Nice fathers day gift!

I have a classic and junior kamado joe -- essentially the same thing, except red. I inherited the classic when my FIL passed away in 2020. Learned a lot during the initial covid time frame when everyone was staying home...random thoughts:

Skip charcoal briquettes and use lump charcoal. Brands like Cowboy and Royal Oak are 'ok' for quick cooks, but bigger chunks work better for long cooks. I tend to use jealous devil and fogo.

Skip lighter fluid. I use the Kamado Joe firestarters, one is fine. Basically non-toxic odorless wax. They stay lit even if it's raining.

Bottom vent = major changes to temp. Leave open when starting it up, or open it up if you need to get really hot again (like if you are reverse searing)

Top vent = minor changes to temp. Leave open when starting, adjust for say, 50-100* changes.

Make sure you keep an eye on it during startup. I do about 10 minutes lid open, 10 minutes lid closes/vents fully open. Be careful, it can get hot really fast. While you can roll 800-900* plus, it's not good for the ceramics or gaskets.

Things your familiar with, like burgers, chicken etc are great to start off with. Boston Butt is a good choice for experimenting with low and slow--just give yourself adequate time. A remote temperature probe is super handy for long cooks.

Have fun!

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Wife bought me an Egg for fathers day. I'm here for inspiration.
I've only ever used charcoal Weber's, and never really grilled much more than your typical burger, chicken, etc.....

Nice fathers day gift!

I have a classic and junior kamado joe -- essentially the same thing, except red. I inherited the classic when my FIL passed away in 2020. Learned a lot during the initial covid time frame when everyone was staying home...random thoughts:

Skip charcoal briquettes and use lump charcoal. Brands like Cowboy and Royal Oak are 'ok' for quick cooks, but bigger chunks work better for long cooks. I tend to use jealous devil and fogo.

Skip lighter fluid. I use the Kamado Joe firestarters, one is fine. Basically non-toxic odorless wax. They stay lit even if it's raining.

Bottom vent = major changes to temp. Leave open when starting it up, or open it up if you need to get really hot again (like if you are reverse searing)

Top vent = minor changes to temp. Leave open when starting, adjust for say, 50-100* changes.

Make sure you keep an eye on it during startup. I do about 10 minutes lid open, 10 minutes lid closes/vents fully open. Be careful, it can get hot really fast. While you can roll 800-900* plus, it's not good for the ceramics or gaskets.

Things your familiar with, like burgers, chicken etc are great to start off with. Boston Butt is a good choice for experimenting with low and slow--just give yourself adequate time. A remote temperature probe is super handy for long cooks.

Have fun!
I have an egg and all of this is good stuff. To light mine, I wet a paper towel with some vegetable oil and shove it in the center of the coals.

I'll also add plan ahead when cooking. Lighting the egg, getting it up to temp, and then quickly putting meat on is a bad practice. I usually wait about 30 min before adding food.

Smell the smoke. If it smells good, then it's fine to put the meat on. If it's white, it's probably too acidic and needs time to burn a bit.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Solid info @Charlotte.:R and @CaptainRatty - I appriciate it!
Been watching YouTube videos off and on today hah.
I have experience with the ceramic grills, just not personal experience.
Wife already picked up the lump charcoal and fire starters.
As suggested, I was just going to do some burgers on it first to get a feel for it.
Is there anything I should do before actually using it the first time? Like, seasoning the grill, in a way?

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Solid info @Charlotte.:R and @CaptainRatty - I appriciate it!
Been watching YouTube videos off and on today hah.
I have experience with the ceramic grills, just not personal experience.
Wife already picked up the lump charcoal and fire starters.
As suggested, I was just going to do some burgers on it first to get a feel for it.
Is there anything I should do before actually using it the first time? Like, seasoning the grill, in a way?
Nope, no need to season anything. It's new, so the gaskets should be in good shape. Just make sure it's secure in whatever it's being held in whether it's a nest from BGE or a custom table. It's super heavy, but could be blown around/ knocked over in the wind.

Autocross Champion
Nope, no need to season anything. It's new, so the gaskets should be in good shape. Just make sure it's secure in whatever it's being held in whether it's a nest from BGE or a custom table. It's super heavy, but could be blown around/ knocked over in the wind.

Gaskets are overrated lol. Mine is virtually gone, but still will hold temp for 10+ hours. I have a replacement, but I'm lazy.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion

We just got the nest I guess. I would've like to have had a table but we are actually in the process of building a new house that will have an outdoor kitchen area so the BGE will eventually go on its own built in pedestal.
Plus It needs to be easy to roll around right now based on where I have to keep it.
Going to go back to the store to get a few accessories. I'm thinking maybe the charcoal basket and the 2 level grate...and some gloves lol. Anything you all suggest?

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
We just got the nest I guess. I would've like to have had a table but we are actually in the process of building a new house that will have an outdoor kitchen area so the BGE will eventually go on its own built in pedestal.
Plus It needs to be easy to roll around right now based on where I have to keep it.
Going to go back to the store to get a few accessories. I'm thinking maybe the charcoal basket and the 2 level grate...and some gloves lol. Anything you all suggest?
Conveggtor is a must for low and slow and the eggspander is good for cooking for large groups. I also like the cast iron cooking top.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
You know you're getting old when you see automatic transmissions with paddle shifters replacing manual gearboxes in sports cars (DSG owner here) and automatic pellet feeding offset smokers replacing the traditional offset firebox Texas smokers. I saw my first pellet smoker on a TV special covering Memphis in May where Al Roker had entered with one of the first commercially available units. This was 10 or 12 years ago now? I just replaced my el-cheapo bullet smoker with a Texas offset that is made in China and has a shorter cooking chamber than say the Oklahoma Joe Highland. It got some good reviews and when I saw it on Amazon on a closeout, I went for it.
Assembly required and some modifications are recommended (Heat baffle's, High temp silicone to seal the joints, Fire-door felt to seal the cooking chamber hatch and a coal/wood basket for the fire box) but after seasoning, it is as almost as good as any pro-pit I could imagine, except it's not made out of 1/4" plate steel. So far, I have smoked a Boston Butt (Pork shoulder), spare ribs and a Turkey. Even heat and predictable temperature control. Dyna-Glo. They make verticals too.
I'm retired. It gives me something to do. (And I get to cut and split wood for it like I did when I had a wood stove back in Minnisota).

View attachment 168911
Supposedly, closer to 30 years. Started out as pellet stoves for home heating in the 80's. First time I saw one was in the mid-80's at a home show. I was helping a friend who designed burglar alarm system and had a booth there. I would go down and set up for him. After he arrived, I would go around and look at all of the products.. I though tthey were a good idea, but not for home heating. I don't know how well grilles work, but I was concerned a pellet would get jammed in the worm feed, and the pellets were expensive and only available from the manufacturer. Is the mechanism battery powered?