GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ye Olde Smoker Thread

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
8 hours in, staying 200F with no wrap all day.
IMG_0921.jpeg

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Going to do pulled pork for dinner Saturday so this will be my first ever pork butt.
The plan is to get the rub on tonight, let it sit in the fridge over night, and then get it on the grill around 8AM.
It's just a little guy - a little under 6 lbs. But I still plan on it taking around 8-9 hours at 250-275.
I've been looking online and it looks like a lot of people will pull it once internal temp gets to be 160-170, and then wrap it up and even bump up the temp around 300 up to 350, and that is what I plan on doing.
And after that, pull it at 200 and then let it rest wrapped up in a cooler for about an hour( or more depending on timing).
Anything the experts here would suggest otherwise?

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
I pull around 160 and put it in a foil tray and put about half a bottle of hard cider in, cover and wrap until 200-205.

I’ve had pork butts take 6 hours, and some took 9. I wouldn’t bump the temp unless you stall out and aren’t going to be able to serve on time.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
I pull around 160 and put it in a foil tray and put about half a bottle of hard cider in, cover and wrap until 200-205.

I’ve had pork butts take 6 hours, and some took 9. I wouldn’t bump the temp unless you stall out and aren’t going to be able to serve on time.
From my understanding, isn't the wrap supposed to help it through the stall anyway? I didn't REALLY see the point of increasing grill temp, unless it was only to speed it up somewhat significantly.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
From my understanding, isn't the wrap supposed to help it through the stall anyway? I didn't REALLY see the point of increasing grill temp, unless it was only to speed it up somewhat significantly.

I've only ever had 1 butt stall, and I attribute it to using a drip pan. I think brisket is more likely to stall than a pork butt*

*speaking from a ceramic kamado perspective

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
I've only ever had 1 butt stall, and I attribute it to using a drip pan. I think brisket is more likely to stall than a pork butt*

*speaking from a ceramic kamado perspective
Hmm interesting. All of this is new to me so I'm going in "blind" lol.
It will be going in a Green Egg, and I did plan on using a drip pan that was filled with water, or apple cider vinegar...or a little of both.