GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EVOMS V-FLow

KaynE

FIA World Rally Car Champion
I have a question about general aftermarket intakes.
How often do you change the filter?
I remember some guy saying once ever 20k miles.
________

And question about this intake...
What's the ease of install? Time?
Will an average joe like me have trouble?
Will there be picture instructions online?

thanks.

I'm actually more interested in the sound rather than the power gains though haha.

Last edited:

frank2287

Touring Car Newbie
when looking under the hood of the gti i was looking at a big hole under the right head light which i though would be a really good spot to run a real cai. i was just asking why no one has thought about making something like that?

azmcs

Anders @ EVO said:
Please try to keep in mind however, that air temperature has little to NOTHING to do with power gains from an intake. If it is blatantly pulling in nothing but hot air, and one is pulling in SIGNIFICANTLY cooler than there may be a difference (on a naturally aspirated motor). Since the air has to be compressed the temperature value of the air before compression will have VERY LITTLE barring on the after compression temperature value, not to mention it has to go through an intercooler as well..... Power comes from design, and removal of restriction - #1 restriction on this car is the factory engine cover, it needs to be removed if you are looking for solid gains.

I respectfully diagree that intake temp has little to nothing to do with power. Temp is critical. If we go down to basics your power is dependent on oxygen delivery to the cylinder as fuel flow and mapping is based on this and amount of fuel is regulated by your "gas" pedal (realyl air flow pedal controlling the TB assembly, but...). So the density of air delivered to the cylinder is critial. there are many factors but ultimately the formula Density= pressure/temp is what it comes down to. Raise the temp and you inversely affect density. Increase the pressure and you increase the density. This is how turbos and SC work, increasing density. Unfortunately as you increase pressure you also increase temperature. This is simple thermodynamics. Take 1 liter of oxygen under 1 bar (1 atm) of pressure, double the pressure to 2 bar and you will increas the temperature.

Now I agree that the intercooler can play a more siginifacnt role in the temp of inlet air temp. In fact the delta across the intercooler is the selling point of many aftermarket air-water and FMIC systems. But ultimately the best IC in the world can only work a certain magic based on the intake temp. If your intake temp is 100C and your IC delta is ~30C then raising intake temp to 110C will affect air temp at the cylinder, and thereby density. They are all interrelated. You can't cheat physics.

Taking all this, I still want one:biggrin:

Anders @ EVO

Go Kart Champion
You are correct on your physics, however you forgot to take into account that the air coming through the intake has to be compressed, which as you stated drastically increases air temperatures. I didn't say that air temps have nothing to do with power, they have a huge part, just not at the specific point of induction we are talking about. The air intake temps BEFORE the compression of the air have little (not nothing) to do with power increase.

azmcs

I don't know how much compression really occurs prior to throttle body. Certainly more when you are looking at a ramair type intake than a "col air" type intake.

Whafrodamus

Walnuts, bitch.
Car(s)
2010 MK6 GTI
Anders @ EVO said:
You are correct on your physics, however you forgot to take into account that the air coming through the intake has to be compressed, which as you stated drastically increases air temperatures. I didn't say that air temps have nothing to do with power, they have a huge part, just not at the specific point of induction we are talking about. The air intake temps BEFORE the compression of the air have little (not nothing) to do with power increase.

Having the intake installed has plenty to do with power.. I Can't wait! Don't make me start to drive down to wherever you are and throw feces at your front door. I'm wicked pumped for your intake, dude.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Don't let the skeptics get to you Anders.....I am patiently waiting but am willing to drive shotgun with Whafrodamus if needed. I like the idea that you are doing an intruductory price on Vortex. Except that I never got my password for my account through them....soooo, how about one for us??

Tay2610

Autocross Newbie
its 3 in the morning and im too tired to go into detail but i want to say this the key element in design with a performance intake is lowering tempature why you ask? well unless you alter the stock peramiters of the engine (i.e. boost, cam timing, fuel, throttle body, manifold design, etc...) the VOLUME has less of a factor in performance. What is the key to making power.........anybody anybody................washington.....wait i mean air AND (wait for it....wait for it) fuel. Which brings me to the next subject of thought HOW DO YOU INCREASE THE VOLUME OF AIR ENTERING THE ENGINE.....anders? "well um...you remove all the components volkswagen has designed cause um..well they dont work, and then you attach a tube made out of the same oem plastic cause um..well um plastics black and stock looking, and then you add a k&n filter on the end" this message brought to you by k&n the same people that brought you the "drop-in". smile/happy face. Wrong you cannot increase the "volume" of air the engine will intake unless you alter the engines properties(explained above). What you CAN do is condense the incomming air essentially allowing "more" while volume is identical. "Tay2610 how do you increase the density of air?" I thought you'd never ask................................................tempature. I do agree with anders on one subject and that is restriction IS the biggest factor or flaw in intake design.........although i would say this is a problem with the manifold and they improper cylinder fill associated with it. Main point.....and yes i have one............just get a "drop-in" because once you get past the "increased sound" v-flow is just a filter.

Last edited:

Shifty

Pull it shave it paint it
Car(s)
2002 TDI New Beetle
Correct. When you're talking N/A motors.

Our cars are turbo'd. This has been expalined about 40 times in this thread, but I'll lay it out for you one more time: *ahem*

Your intake air passes through a turbo which, when spooling at high rpms, can become RED HOT. This will change the temperature of the intake air.

THE ONLY WAY TO EFFECTIVELY LOWER THE INTAKE TEMPS IS WITH AN INTERCOOLER.

Have you seen the factory airbox? Seen the little accordian straw it's drawing through? Have you realized that the "airbox" is inside the engine cover, a part which contains the heat rising off the motor? You don't think it's getting a little warm in there after a good sprint?

Besides, as long as this thing is making numbers at the wheels who really cares how it works?

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Shifty is right. I took the factory airbox apart for everyone to see and posted it on here some where. The cover is a giant airbox. Drop ins are better than the factory but not better than getting rid of the factory airbox.

Tay2610

Autocross Newbie
the intake air passes through the turbo before entering the engine?......maybe i should just stick to hondas.....haha.... isnt the turbo attached to the exhaust manifold? i gotta run reply later........