GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Ultimate "Driver's" Road Trip

torga

Autocross Champion
More like it had to carry around a sack full of stupid.
There's a difference between brave and stupid, and I crossed that line at full speed about 5 years ago
A sack of balls is much more dense than a sack of stupid. There's a reason they're called airheads 😂

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Day 16: whoops whoops
This whole drive was boring until the salt flats, and honestly that excitement could fill a week, so we'll skip right to that.
I found a place to get off the interstate with my lowered car. I took a walk out on the salt to see how it felt and it just felt like packed dirt, so I took my GTI out with no problems. Nerve-wracking as hell, though.
Grind was a bit sticky, though, and I couldn't get above 70. So I hopped back on the interstate, drove a mile and saw shallow tracks, and drove off the interstate, drive about 1500 hundred feet, and started to slow. Like an idiot, I tried turn traction control back on to see if that would help. That's the reason I got stuck.
I might've been able to get out of I had used escape methods before trying to rock it out on the throttle alone. But I didn't, so I couldn't, and the hole I dug was up to my axles, bottoming out my car.
3 hours later and they got a tracked cat vehicle to come rescue me... For $400. And that's because the guy feel bad for me because I was broke and told him I couldn't afford the $600 extraction so I'd find some other way.
(same album I posted before if you've already seen it)
So I got out, limped it, totally unbalanced, to the nearby car wash, and cleaned her up.
Left a bag over the intake and the vacuum it pulled over half a mile crushed it.
IMG_20200601_205559.jpg

After that, I just drove a couple hours to a rest stop. My goal was to hit 150 on the salt flats, which didn't happen, but I can say I did hit 150 for the first time.
Oh, and I'm fairly certain I saw a McLaren Speedtail while I was stuck, which is neat.
My trail:
Screenshot_20200602-123226.png

And my two Salt Flat excursions:
Screenshot_20200602-123248.png

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Alright, so I'm at FedEx in Vegas. My brand new OBDeleven dongle is plugged in. My head unit, which was causing interference with @Joe_Mama's dongle, is already off, and I start my car.
I have the gen 1 dongle, which means I'm supposed to connect to Bluetooth, right?
Screenshot_20200602-122203.png
Screenshot_20200602-121846.png

Nothing. Let it sit for a while and it still won't appear in either place. Anyone have advice?

GolNat

Autocross Champion
It's not connected to the OEM bluetooth correct? It should pop right up and connect via blue tooth.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Nevermind. It connects to Bluetooth, and I've linked the device, but now it's hanging on the "connecting" status. It asked me for a password, and then did nothing

I borrowed golnat's and I couldn't get it to work until I connected the phone to my wifi.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
I'll be pretty miffed if that's the case. What's the point in a diag tool that needs to be within wifi range? My driveway doesn't even get my wifi.
Got it to work. Rebooted my phone and started the whole sync process from the beginning. Man this thing is finicky.
Also my car just stalled out 3 times while I was sitting here, but of course when I go to record it it starts and idles normally 🤷🏼‍♂️ haven't had any codes in hundreds of miles

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Nevermind. It connects to Bluetooth, and I've linked the device, but now it's hanging on the "connecting" status. It asked me for a password, and then did nothing
Sometimes it does that. you have to back out of the app (close it) turn off the ignition and do it again. You DO NOT need wifi to use it. Make sure that SONY head unit is OFF too. And visibily look at the obdeleven dongle and make sure it is lit up red

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I borrowed golnat's and I couldn't get it to work until I connected the phone to my wifi.

My Android phone is only used for OBD11 so it has no data plan and needs to be tethered off a phone or use WiFi. I tether it off my iPhone since I don't have wifi at my house.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Wow, my car had a number of faults 😂 most of them are obvious why, such as my passenger airbag faults, my right low beam (which I noticed was out 10 minutes ago. I think the LED is overheating or it's not closing the circuit), the stereo, and a few others. But then I had some weird faults. I wiped them for now and if they come back I'll look into them then
Screenshot_20200602-141043.png

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Wow, my car had a number of faults 😂 most of them are obvious why, such as my passenger airbag faults, my right low beam (which I noticed was out 10 minutes ago. I think the LED is overheating or it's not closing the circuit), the stereo, and a few others. But then I had some weird faults. I wiped them for now and if they come back I'll look into them thenView attachment 175466

I have yet to log into OBD11 and there not be a fault. The car will find something to complain about. The one time it had a radio fault for the AUX!?! WTF, it is working great. Unless it throws a light at ya I wouldn’t worry to much about them. Glad you for it working tho 👍

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
I have yet to log into OBD11 and there not be a fault. The car will find something to complain about. The one time it had a radio fault for the AUX!?! WTF, it is working great. Unless it throws a light at ya I wouldn’t worry to much about them. Glad you for it working tho 👍
Oh yeah, with my aftermarket head unit there will now always be at least 3 faults 🤷🏼‍♂️ I'm crying on the inside.
My new problem is there nowhere for me to enter my activation code. It's supposed to be under "Get PRO," right? But that just tried to make me buy it, no option for activation code. Same with "Wallet."

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
You have to go onto their website itself and find the log in portal. From there you can add the code. You cant add it through the app.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
You have to go onto their website itself and find the log in portal. From there you can add the code. You cant add it through the app.
🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️ Their website says I don't have an account ffs nothing about this is easy lmfao I went to the dashboard on the site, which apparently is a different login from the site. The dashboard let's me type in a code but it doesn't have any way to submit the code you entered 😂 this is comical at this point. I guess I need to find a wifi signal, charge my laptop, and do it that way. Hopefully.