GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fender subwoofer mods

AxMan

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
Audi S5
I left the area directly under the sub clear.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Keep polyfill away from the basket and the vent in the back of the magnet(if there is one). Loosely place it in the sub, too. If you jam it in, you can loose some low end.

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
If the fender is 2ohm final load then its dual 4ohm coils. Knight, if you got the dual 2 ohm kicker, you're amp is seeing 4ohm thus halving the power to it. This would be why you're having to boost the sub. If the fender is dual 2 then disregard.

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
If the fender is 2ohm final load then its dual 4ohm coils. Knight, if you got the dual 2 ohm kicker, you're amp is seeing 4ohm thus halving the power to it. This would be why you're having to boost the sub. If the fender is dual 2 then disregard.

I got the 2ohm dual Kicker

Chad1140

Passed Driver's Ed
Besides keeping the area directly around the sub and magnet clear of polyfill in the initial install, has anyone had any luck with maybe quilted polyfill around the speaker, to make sure that the fill doesn't eventually work its way into the speaker area? Or have ya seen that it generally stays put? Also, with the thinness of the plastic, would it be worthwhile to run strips of dynomat or a sound deadening equivalent?

BTW, I have been out of car audio for a while, so what are some cheaper Dynomat alternatives so I won't have to pay for the name, but get a very similar quality?

AxMan

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
Audi S5
Besides keeping the area directly around the sub and magnet clear of polyfill in the initial install, has anyone had any luck with maybe quilted polyfill around the speaker, to make sure that the fill doesn't eventually work its way into the speaker area? Or have ya seen that it generally stays put? Also, with the thinness of the plastic, would it be worthwhile to run strips of dynomat or a sound deadening equivalent?

BTW, I have been out of car audio for a while, so what are some cheaper Dynomat alternatives so I won't have to pay for the name, but get a very similar quality?

I was looking at adding Dynomat to the box to see if that helps as well. Have yet to pull the trigger though.

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
I've used killmat and fatmat. The killmat was easier to work with. Heat gun and roller it down and it should help solidify that plastic enclosure. But use caution with the heat not to distort or melt your enclosure.

FRANKIEWALLNUTS

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW mk7 Gti
Did the Memphis swap and just took it out. Went thru all the hassle of buying the speaker , trim ring spacer , modding the box and sealing with expensive epoxy. The stock sub sounds better. I can swap them in and out to compare and the stock sub hits harder and produces more bass IMO. NOT happy with the results. Anyone else in the same boat?
99F9F1F9-0A66-44C0-8B78-348403AA1F46.jpeg
1CB212D6-FCFB-4810-98D3-E3FB968F16CE.jpeg
191CB2CE-143E-4C8E-BB17-F7CF961A98BA.jpeg
A51FEF4C-CBF7-4506-9D70-EE481D06D428.jpeg

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Did the Memphis swap and just took it out. Went thru all the hassle of buying the speaker , trim ring spacer , modding the box and sealing with expensive epoxy. The stock sub sounds better. I can swap them in and out to compare and the stock sub hits harder and produces more bass IMO. NOT happy with the results. Anyone else in the same boat?
View attachment 186484View attachment 186485View attachment 186486View attachment 186487

Speakers usually need a little time to loosen up. Maybe use it for a week and then do the same comparison.