GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Infotainment Hardware and Software Updates

PanEuropean

Ready to race!
I see it says do not start engine during update. Presumably that means it’s ok to start the update while the engine is already running? (And disabling start/stop?)
You understand the rationale behind not starting the engine during the update perfectly. Start the engine before the update, disable start-stop, then run the update. If you have a good quality battery maintainer you could hook that up instead of running the engine.

An additional tip: Turn off the lights (which usually come on automatically), set the parking brake because in some markets that turns off the DRLs, and turn off the heating system. Check that heated seats & heated steering wheel (if fitted) are off.

Michael

tos

Go Kart Champion
When get OTA update:
Instructions on the SCREEN says that do not use the car and you must leave the car alone for the update!

There are some people whose broke their unit when engine running...

Downloading when driving is ok, at first it will download the file, then it asks for start the update.
Read instructions (you can scroll them) before press start update...

Last edited:

tos

Go Kart Champion
1941 in the car
prepared on usb 1969 and started upgrading part 1 from 0-100%.
After the 1st restart there is a problem, it did not continue to upgrade other parts of the software. The only thing I could do to bring the device back to life was to take another usb stick with sw 1941 and the unit started normally. Was the USB the problem, the software or something else?
View attachment 299265
Good to know, that its cancel update if something is not correct.
That is why we should not update these by myself.

satel

Passed Driver's Ed
Update OK!
Software number: 5H0035816K
Software version: 1969
Hardware number: 5H0035816
Hardware version: H56

Last edited:

Sodium

Just successfully updated my North American SE from version 1896 to version 1969, used my Macbook and the app Keka to unzip, and disk utility to format my 128gb sandisk to FAT32. Drive should only have the DATA and META folders on it after the extraction is completed.

satel

Passed Driver's Ed
I took another usb, repeated the process and everything was successfully installed normally. Immediately after connecting to 4G, two OTA upgrades were offered. Bug fixes. Maybe stop the annoying gong-gong warning Travel Assist

tos

Go Kart Champion
I got these small updates also; they will not help travel assist.
Update goes to instruction manual, data packages, services, registration and shop.

For TA problems you will need a new steering wheel.

satel

Passed Driver's Ed
I got these small updates also; they will not help travel assist.
Update goes to instruction manual, data packages, services, registration and shop.

For TA problems you will need a new steering wheel.
Still no error after 1969 + OTA, the last few days the warning came on 100 times a day which is frustrating. If it appears, I'll go to the service again to say that they put broken steering wheels on 90% of golf mk8s. I no longer have a guarantee, but I will make a problem for them. I had 4 Golf mk8s and each one had some fault

Reactions: tos

Paul_W

Passed Driver's Ed
Has anyone got any ideas what I’m doing wrong in regards to updating my maps? I’ve downloaded the maps from the vw uk site onto a the route directory of a SanDisk 128gb flash drive which is formatted in exfat. According to the instructions you plug the drive into the car and it should update automatically. But when I plug it in, nothing happens

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Has anyone got any ideas what I’m doing wrong in regards to updating my maps? I’ve downloaded the maps from the vw uk site onto a the route directory of a SanDisk 128gb flash drive which is formatted in exfat. According to the instructions you plug the drive into the car and it should update automatically. But when I plug it in, nothing happens
I may be wrong but I thought with the mk8 Golf, sat nav map updates are OTA and automatic when an update is available.

Paul_W

Passed Driver's Ed
As I understand OTA map updates are only available with a we connect plus subscription. I left the USB plugged in while driving and it has now changed from 19.7 to 23.6. Doesn’t seem the best software/ui design to have it update without any visual indication that anything is happening/completed

rstultie

In the meantime my MK8 eHybrid is back from the garage again after the software reboot / lost settings issue. They said they have done a software update again, but were not very specific about what has changed even after me pressing for some clarity. In the settings menu nothing is different. Still the same version as before.
I did not have full crashes past 3 days, although the startup behavior of the unit is different each time I start the car. Sometimes it directly goes into the white Welcome [User] screen. The next time it starts up completely with "Welcome to Volkswagen" and then goes to the Welcome [user] screen.

Not sure the latter can can also be seen as a reboot of the system? Is this happening also in your MK8's?

PS: I got a MK8 replacement car which had all the steering wheel issues too :(