JKoby123

Ready to race!
Grambles, here are some thoughts with a 10k budget in mind:

3000GT VR-4
300ZX TT
RX-7
Porsche 997 Turbo
E46 M3

The top three would be a ton of fun, IMO. Anyway, sub'd.

JoeVDub

Go Kart Champion
I could've gotten a 93 vr4 with 80k miles for $4,000. I hate myself every time one drives by. But then again parts are EXPENSIVE.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I'm not feeling older Jap cars, TBH. Porsche 997T would be pretty sweet

trd420

Go Kart Champion
I'm looking for a project too, I'm think about a Honda hatchback (EG) and swapping in a type r or k20 and fully Gut it would be a really fast cheap car

Eg $1,500-$2,000
Type r with tran $2,000+ a $1,200 on full boltons I/h/e/itm/cam/tune
Wheels+tires+suspension $1,200
+ install Will run low 13s for a max total of $7,000

ns01gti

Go Kart Champion
Last edited:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
That VR6 rumble is the epitome of jizz in my pants. The fact it's turbo'd makes it even better.

As for the Honda cars mentioned, I want something nostalgic, not a rice burner. If any Honda would be considered it would be an S2000.

JoeVDub

Go Kart Champion
^ a s2k with a hard top and BT kit is going to be a future car of mine, the motors are amazing.

But about this mk1-mk2 with the TSI swap...is this possible? I know anything is possible with the right amount of money, but let's say the average person... I know custom mounts would have to be made. But what about leaving the old 5spd in there with the TSI and bulletproofing the 5spd. That'd be a badass car. Light weight body with modern technology and long gears for drag racing.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
^ a s2k with a hard top and BT kit is going to be a future car of mine, the motors are amazing.

But about this mk1-mk2 with the TSI swap...is this possible? I know anything is possible with the right amount of money, but let's say the average person... I know custom mounts would have to be made. But what about leaving the old 5spd in there with the TSI and bulletproofing the 5spd. That'd be a badass car. Light weight body with modern technology and long gears for drag racing.

I've seen a MK1 (or an MK2) body with an FSI engine. ANYTHING is possible. I can MIG well pretty decently and TIG so-so. I figure just weld up and fabricate some custom mounts. Might be doable.

I'd just get the 6speed and bullet proof that. Why modify the old 5speed when a direct bolt on 6MT would suffice?

I'm sure with enough resources I could fabricate my own driveshafts, would be helpful mounting up a rear diff system.

It certainly wouldnt be a DD, but it would be Custom as hell! I've been jotting down some ideas and sketches of what the system could entail, but it really seems doable if I can get a MK1 body for cheap.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I'm getting the Golf R Itch.........but I still want/need to stick with a cheaper project car.

I'm thinking (and yes I'm dead serious):
1) Turbo 2.5 with Golf R Front End Sportwagon CW ....dont know if there is a 2.5 4motion conversion though

2) 2.0TSI K04 MK1 with custom AWD conversion. Might be tough making custom parts, but with some help, I'll be able to do it. I know how to weld, machine, etc. etc. I just need the resources to do so.

3) 3.2L Tubo VR6 AWD Self explanatory, preferably a newer generation body

4) TDI Build.....not sure what development we have here, but a nice AWD TDI making 300hp and 100000000000000tq is nice

5) Older Porsche 911

6) Older Audi S4 or something of that nature, I dont want it to be a mess to work on.

My goal is to have it driveable for maybe once a week driving with 4drs (or at least have the back seat accessible enough for a car seat) and manual. I dont think I'll be going DSG with this route. I wanna keep it VAG and unique to take it to SOWO, APR BBQ, and various VAG events.

Any thoughts?