GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OFFICIAL Golfmk5forums.com Tire Thread!!! Ask RedRabidRabbit Everything Tire Related!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rabbit2.5

i have 18x8 b7 rs4 reps.... i wanna run bfg g-force sports and i know i should run a 225x40x18.... can i get away with running a 215x35x18xl???? or will it mess with shit...

GTI2007

i have 18x8 b7 rs4 reps.... i wanna run bfg g-force sports and i know i should run a 225x40x18.... can i get away with running a 215x35x18xl???? or will it mess with shit...

I wouldn't do that. 225/40R18 wheels have a diameter of 25.08" while the 215/35R18 wheels only have 23.92" as diameter so the difference (1.16") in diameter between those 2 tires is way too large.

RedRabidRabbit

I want FREE HAM!!
I wouldn't do that. 225/40R18 wheels have a diameter of 25.08" while the 215/35R18 wheels only have 23.92" as diameter so the difference (1.16") in diameter between those 2 tires is way too large.

Yeah, the 215/35 is going to be pretty short, and probably look pretty funny. That's usually the size to use on older, smaller cars, like Civics before '01 and Integras. You could run a 215/40, which is about 24.7" tall. It's important to keep within 3% of the stock diameter (regardless of rim size) to maintain speedo/odometer accuracy, and you won't mess with the gearing the car was designed to use, either.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Any word on the Helios?

cypressvalley

The Stig
Car(s)
Mk5 GTI
G'day RRR

Keen on buying a mate's second hand OEM B7 RS4 Rims (18'')... have a stock GTI... are the two a match made in heaven?

Thanks for any info you can offer.

LasVegas

Don't h8 Me Cuz I'm Stock
To the OP:

I have a tire question. Has anyone come up with a formula for tire width:traction? I think the 18" tires on the GTI are too wide and they lessen the PSI:area and cause the tires to float. Others say the wider the better.

Can you set me straight on this tire width:traction dilemna.

Dan GSR

Autocross Champion
you can't put tires that are too wide for the car
the point of diminishing returns on this car, the tires would poke out and rub

i think the widest anyone has put is a 255

a wider tire will have a larger contact patch, and will have better grip

what specifically are you experiencing with your 18" wheels?

do you feel the tires on your 18" wheels give poor traction?
if so, it may be the compound, and tread design.
which tires do you have on them..width and make/model ?

AndorGLI

18 and i'll still take U!
Car(s)
VW MKV GLI
hey RRR,

what are the best overall tires that i can buy for under $150 each that is 235/40/18. also which size do you recomend? 35 series or 40 series

LasVegas

Don't h8 Me Cuz I'm Stock
which tires do you have on them..width and make/model ?

Thanks for replying. I still use the stock ContiSport 2 tires. I can't seem to put the HP to the pavement. Even the slightest pressure on the throttle and the tires spin. I find the tires spin less with ESP turned "Off" because both tires grab the same. When ESP is "On" usually only one tire spins. IMO, ESP sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.