GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

06 civic Si vs. my 06 MKV at the track

autox

Master Mechanic
Car(s)
06 Gti
another thing... vw doenst need to cut weight, they make HORSEPOWER!!!!!!!!

czechgigalo

Ready to race!
Horizon said:
Where's the memo I missed that you have to have a VW to be on this forum? See, that's what's good about forums like these... you don't have to align yourself with one particular forum, with what car you drive. Problem is, they have people like you acting like a xenophobe to anything other than what the web forum has in its heading. I'm not asking you to like Honda's of any kind... but to give people a chance with different interests other than those of your own.

Since you're new to online car forums, I'm sure you get off on the fact that you can talk trash to whoever you want without repercussions (as the anonymity of the internet empowers those behind the monitor)... but I must ask this; will you please grow up just a little and have some civility while being on this site? It's been fairly civil on most of these discussions, but when you throw around the crap that you've been dealing like above, it tends to turn people away from this site. It's immature, silly, and just degrades the overall feel of this site. Just because this site says there's 3,616 members, doesn't mean it's just that many people reading all of this. There's lurkers from every corner of the net around here judging whether or not they would want to join this community.

Oh, and to quote you, "There's plenty of HONDA forums he can go to and stroke his ego." All I can say about that is, "Different strokes for different folks.":wink:

p.s. Here's the definition of a flame: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=flame Flame baiting is basically trying to provoke someone into a "flame war." Where flames are just thrown back at each other constantly until the thread gets locked or deleted.

I agree this shit does turn people away... Thats the reason I chose this forum, because it had the least of this trash taking....

Horizon

Drag Race Newbie
autox said:
another thing... vw doenst need to cut weight, they make HORSEPOWER!!!!!!!!

Uh, the GTI and the Si make relatively the same ammount of horsepower... the main difference is with the torque. :iono:

JJ-R32

Administrator
Staff member
Please keep the discussion civil guys. We can discuss all different brands of cars here without getting personal. Thanks!

blackmkv

Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
VW GTI
didnt mean to have this thread turn into a flame thread. i guess next time ill just show my time alone without comparing others

davis_grad

Touring Car Champion
HotLanta MKfizzle said:
I have no idea what a flame is or what flame baiting is, i'm pretty new to car forums <snip>

Not to sound too critical, but would you do us all a favor and tone the rhetoric down a wee bit and be a bit more polite. The original poster was making a valid point on how these comparisons prove nothing, and you responded with a flame. Try googling "flame, flame bait" for more info.

Cheers.

Dubdr

Rally Car Champion
Like I said I didn't want to piss you off, I was just stating my opinion. I even said, nice run in the first post. I am a car guy, I like all cars, some more than others (vw) but clearly some people like VW alot more than other cars, sorry you guys took my comments the wrong way. Didn't mean to sound like an ass#$% or piss you off. Again, Sorry.

Deagle

Touring Car Champion
You guys seriously need to take into account the reaction times and 60'. Those are the two biggest factors in quarter mile times. Anybody can mash the throttle and shift gears. Reaction and launch, however takes practice and some skill.

sublyme

Touring Car Champion
Not sure how it works there in the US, but over here the reaction time doesn't contribute to the 1/4 mile time as the time only starts when you actually start going.

Reaction time is measured from the second that the light goes green, hence you can sit there for 10 secs after the light goes green but your time won't start yet till you start moving. It just means you'll get a 10 sec reaction time.

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
Sublyme, you're right. It matters as to who gets the win light though, but when doing an et comparison, doesn't matter. The Si has a serious weight advantage, same hp, although quite a bit less torque, which means if you don't know how to launch off the moon and modulate the throttle to control wheelspin, you'll never get a good time. Where I do see the Civic to be a good run would be from a 60mph roll. In the mag comparisons, the Si pulls ahead around 110-120mph. The power to weight took over at that point.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Picture links at the start of the thread are broken...and I haven't read every post BUT...I assume we're talking about a drag strip rather than a road course or auto-x track right? Not sure about you all but I don't do much 1/4 mile max speed driving on a daily basis so why would I care who wins a drag race? Sounds like a bit of a stupid benchmark to me. I don't have anything against Honda...it's a fine car and some people prefer them. Ilike VW/Audi more myself but I don't hold that against Honda guys...although some of them do give the whole lot a bad rep.

So here's my opinion on the matter...sorry if this is a re-post.

If you buy a Honda, you end up with a Honda...

blackmkv

Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
VW GTI
on the way home on I95 (a major highway for those of you who are foreign) he got next to me again and we slowed it down to like 40mph and took off. ill be honest i popped the clutch but then again he has work and is broken in, i have nothing. in any case i jumped about a fender in front then started a really slow creep. the creeping stopped and i heard him miss a gear. i was going to give him another shot but he just wouldnt want to line up anymore. yes he was a bad driver ill give you honda guys that, but i should have never jumped or even creeped on him at all on a roll. especially with him being in such high rpm's. maybe it was the added weight of his underbody neon light kit.. IDK

GTT

Touring Car Champion
Dubdr said:
Not to take away anything from you victory, but he does have one excuse. A civic is NA. Don't get me wrong, I love my GTi. But the civic is putting out 195 na to our 200 fi, pretty sure we would get our asses handed to us if the civic was fi. Great run though.

The Honda engineers choose their engine, the VW engineers choose their engine.
These are stock engines, not modded. Thus, I don't get your point.
It's not as if a NA engine can't beat a turbo. It's just that stock turbo engines have advantages and that's why the're used. Honda could have used an FI engine if they wanted.
If the GTI were NA and the guy put FI in it and then ran the stock SI, sure it should be called an "avantage". But, that was stock for stock.

You can FI any engine. You seem to imply that if Honda went with turbo then the Si would win. That's a far fetched assumption if that is what you mean.
If you take the stock Si and put a turbo on it then YEAH of course it should beat the stock GTI.
But, make some changes to the GTI to keep things going and the GTI can increase it's power as well.

So, no the SI doesn't have an excuse nor does it need it. It's much lighter than the GTI so it has a big weigth advantage. Also, the Si has been testing to be the faster car when speeds increase over 90-100mph when it's weight and aero tweaks have the advantage.
The SI is a great car so it doesn't really need an excuse.

BTW, these are excellent all around handling/driving cars. 1/4 mile drag racing is wasted on these types of automobiles. It misses the point.

T

Last edited:

GTT

Touring Car Champion
blackmkv said:
ok dubr how is the car going to have 200hp at the crank if thats what its putting down to the wheels??

Well, VW is claiming 200hp at the crank, so that's the point of reference.
There is nothing concrete out there that every GTI is putting out 225hp to the crank and getting 200hp at the wheels. That's from a couple of examples and we'll need more before we get a better representation.

Not all GTI's are getting 200hp to the wheels considering that many accel tests are putting some of these car in the high 6's and lower 7's. If the engine truly has 225hp at the crank then it's sad that it gets to 60 in a long 7.1.

VW (US) uses the SAE standards and rules that other manufactures use.
So, those are the base numbers by which to compare.

T

Last edited:

GTT

Touring Car Champion
tydale3 said:
horsepower is not the number that means anything. Tourqe is the real number you should be looking at. The GTI has way more tourqe than the civic. The GTI has a 60,000 mile warranty with a turbo. Honda is 36,000 miles without one. Could it be that VW knows how to make more power with reliablity than honda???? Bone stock the GTI blows the honda away in almost every catagory including fit and finish comfort and performance. If you like your civic so much go have sum sushi and race a fiat, you might win then!!!

HP and torque are important. The high hp to weight of the SI starts to show it's stuff when speeds get over 90mph.

Also, Honda and Acura have upped their warranties. The base bumper to bumper is 3-36k, but I believe the power train warranty is now 5-60k.

Don't kid youself, Honda KNOWS and does build reliable power.
And, I wouldn't say the GTI "blows" the Si away. They are very close and thus become a drivers race.
The rest of the comparison should include the GTI's higher price as to why it may be more comfortable or have a certain type finish.

T

Last edited: