GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need Some Opinions about a project car

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Yep. You heard me right. I'm starting to get the project car itch and ultimately want have something to work on all the time. Maybe its a conquest for something ultimately ridiculous, or an obsession that will take its toll on my finances. I really want to have a great hobby that I can get my hands on, rather than surfing the forums. Sure, I have my K04 GTI right now, but as a daily driver I really dont want to go any higher with it. That's where this car would step in.

As soon as the wife gets out of school, I would love to get a B5 RS4 Avant. Pure absolute sex. I don't know very much about these cars, or anything VAG related prior to 2006. I know a little about the 1.8T but the 2.7TT is beyond my knowledge. I know it'll take a while to get acquainted with it and learn what I need to, but I feel the journey will definitely be most of the fun.

If any of you all have any experience or knowledge regarding the B5 RS4, please feel free to share. I want this thread to become a discussion thread on the matter....

Or better yet.....any awesome cheap project cars that can make some good serious power.

EDIT: I've been informed the B5 RS4 doesnt exist in America. S4 conversions do though......

Last edited:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Just reading through Vortex and Audizine makes me want one bad.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
So I guess another question is...whats the difference between an B5 S4 and a B5 RS4?

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
Do you actually want to buy an RS4 or do you want to build one? Do you plan to live in America?

B5 Rs4 was not ever sold in the US. There are a few here that people imported, by a few I mean literally 3-4.

There are many more conversions that people have done on normal S4 avants and sedans even. The first one you posted is a conversion the rest are most likely real but not in the US.

10 years ago the only real option for turbo upgrades for the US 2.7T was just bolting on some RS4 k04s and that was it. There are many options now including Garrett based Tial turbos which are fantastic. I personally wouldn't waste my time with k04s at this point in the game. 500 plus daily driven reliable hp is possible with those cars very easily.

Clean b5 S4 Avant is going to run you around 10K right now for a manual, you can find autos for less and haggard cars for less as well. Some are going to be 15k+

RS4 body parts I have not looked up in a while but figure about 8-10K just in hardware plus labor. If you are paying for it figure 15-20K easily for parts and labor.

As much as I like the avant look overall if i was going to waste my money doing the body conversion I would do it on a sedan since you could not buy one.

If you bought a 10K avant, turbo kit and labor plus the body parts and labor you are easily looking at 40K to build one before brakes, wheels, exhaust and the thousands of dollars in random stuff that always breaks on the 2.7ts.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie

zee

Go Kart Champion
You'd have to get the B5 S4 and build up. The B5 RS4 was not officially sold in North America. IIRC, only 4 legit import versions existed and I'm not sure how 'clean' their papers were.

I know you are very technically inclined but be prepared to drop the engine quite often as the bay is very tight.

Last edited:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
You'd have to get the B5 S4 and build up. The B5 RS4 was not offically sold in North America. IIRC, only 4 legit import versions existed and I'm not sure how 'clean' their papers were.

I know you are very technically inclined but be prepared to drop the engine quite often as the bay is very tight.

Oh ok. I was wondering, because I didnt see much information regarding the RS4. What sort of swaps are commonly done for, let's say, 500awhp? or 450awhp? Seems like a K04 upgrade is a nice way to make some power.

I noticed the engine dropping as well in a few build threads I've seen. Seems tough.

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
This is about 5k less than i expected. Wow.

I haven't actually looked recently but that is what I was seeing maybe 1-2 years ago.

It is really going to depend on mileage and what is done to it. I wouldn't pay 15K for a car with 100K on it that had stock k03s and clutch. If you had to pay labor that's going to be 10K in repairs in the near future. If its an 00 with the problematic selector hubs you could be in for a few grand to rebuild the trans if that was never done.

I'd easily pay 15K for a clean 100K mile avant though that had clutch or turbos done if my plan was to keep it stockish.

Personally knowing what I would do with it I wouldn't actually pay over about 8 for a manual avant that was clean but had original turbos.

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
I noticed the engine dropping as well in a few build threads I've seen. Seems tough.

You can have the engine and trans out through the front if you know what you are doing in under 2 hours. This also keeps the car rollable.

A dealer will often use the bisbarth (sp?) table to drop the engine. This takes the whole suspension with it and means teh car is stuck on the lift but it is very handy to work like that, can be done in simlar time to pulling out the front if the table is setup already and you know what you are doing.

Its really not that bad.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
OK. Let me brain dump some notes:

RS4 not offered in US. S4 manual can be had for $8K-$15K depending on condition and how much aftermarket has been done. K04 was the "hip" thing back in the day but not Tial and Garrett Turbos are allowing daily driven reliable power without overcooking the K04s.

Body work doesnt matter much to me. I would get coilovers and probably some lip kit stuff here and there, but nothing over bearing. I would want clean sick power and some nice aesthetic eye candy to please the people I'm passing.

Chris....tell me more!

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Definitely just read an entire build thread with GT28s. OMFG WANT

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Dude this is an incredibly reasonable project if you are not doing body work...

I've seen a lot of them going for sale for $8K-$10K but its been tough to find an Avant that is below $12K