GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Jewfro's NA Miata

JewFro

Ready to race!
Not set on any specific wheel style but lean towards the old school style spoke wheels over the mesh for this car.

Wouldn't mind these though

Candy11

Ready to race!
Damn Fro your from hbg too? Nice Miata Btw. When's the Coyote V8 going in?

JewFro

Ready to race!
Damn Fro your from hbg too? Nice Miata Btw. When's the Coyote V8 going in?

Heck yea man, I live in Enola

As far as the V8 that isn't even on my radar right now :) Planning to play with boost next season though and the stock internals are good for a bit more than 250whp which should keep me occupied for a while.

Stocktastic1

Go Kart Champion
I haven't looked at it much, but what're the stock internals good for?

JewFro

Ready to race!
I haven't looked at it much, but what're the stock internals good for?

General consensus seems to be a little north of 250whp. There are plenty of people that have run those power levels on stock internals for quite a while without issue too. They're fairly stout engines and have oem piston oil squirters.

Candy11

Ready to race!
I always thought the Jackson racing superchargers (I might not have the brand right) made good power gains in the rpm range where it needs power the most. You could always find them used for like a grand. Great power gains for the money.

JewFro

Ready to race!
I always thought the Jackson racing superchargers (I might not have the brand right) made good power gains in the rpm range where it needs power the most. You could always find them used for like a grand. Great power gains for the money.

If you can find them cheap then maybe... just maybe its a decent idea but you're very limited in terms of power level to around 200whp max on the larger MP62 blower. The MP45 might see 170ish on a 1.8 with significant supporting mods. If one pops up for a steal its something I might try since you're right about the mid-range power but a properly sized turbo will have plenty of mid-range punch and easily put out 250whp.

With plug and play mega squirt around $800 a DIY turbo setup is really very reasonable and many have had good luck with some of the "china chargers" too.

Candy11

Ready to race!
Yea roots type chargers never make turbo hp numbers. I just remember years ago those superchargers were big and you could find alot of them on ebay type sites.

JewFro

Ready to race!
Yea roots type chargers never make turbo hp numbers. I just remember years ago those superchargers were big and you could find alot of them on ebay type sites.

Years ago yea they were awesome and they really aren't bad now. The biggest problem is the tensioner JR or Moss provides which chews up belts(but can be upgraded). If you have an MP62 blower with MegaSquirt management it looks like more than 200whp is possible, especially with meth. Its a tempting set up since the SC and MS (new) would run about $1600-1700. 200+whp would keep me happy for a while in a 2200lb car

Beyond that, Sunday is the Miatas Auto-x debut :) Flying into NY Saturday afternoon (was visiting the parentals and flew out for a business trip), driving back to PA, preparing the car through the night and then competing in double header SCCA Solo II events the weekend of the 18th and 26th. Since its still on summer yokohamas and not R-comps it won't be competitive in the SP class but oh well, it'll still be a blast. The modified intake camshaft tosses me out of the ST class but the car is being built to have fun and to the occasional Auto-x/Track day, not be an all out competitive terror. Over the winter the plan is to snatch up a set of the recently released 15" forged 2 piece CCW wheels what now come in LM5, LM16, and LM20s and run 225/45/15 R-comps

tplociniak

Go Kart Newbie
I like the build so far, dont have my GTI any more but hopefully getting an R in the next few months (either R or a3 quattro) I did pick up a NA miata a few months ago, have gone to a few Auto-x with it so far and love it

Flyin Miata V-Maxx coilover
FM frame rail braces
DIY autotune ms3x ecu
mtx-l wideband
and then the maintance stuff, new master and slave for clutch, timing belt and rollers, front crank seal and shifter rebuild.

I have the turbo, manifold and downpipe in my garage, just need my injectors and intercooler and some misc parts and I will be installing that the end of September probably

JewFro

Ready to race!
Warning... long winded post

Took the car auto crossing today and over all it did pretty well! Didn't get back from a work trip until last last night so I skipped out on the AM session to prep the car. Raised the coils by adding both more pre-load and raising the strut, took a guess on the dampening and went for a shake down run. Good thing I tried it out first because the tail was all over the place and there was still rubbing on the fender liners.

Trimmed the liners, raised it another 1/4", set the dampening full stiff front and 50% rear and away we went. With the tires at 35psi cold this set up was reasonably balanced but the rear still wanted to step out too easily for my taste. When it does step out its generally very controllable but the suspension needs a bit more tweaking.

One concern was a problem with detonation. My dad says he had trouble with detonation when the car was new but running 93 solved that. Today we did 4 run heats. On the first two runs there was no detonation, on the third you could hear what sounded like someone shaking marbles around in a can but it was faint and it still didn't click as to what it was. On the fourth run it was more pronounced and I knew it was detonation.

We did fun runs at the end of the day and the car had a chance to cool down. On the first fun run there was no detonation, second run a moderate amount and I decided to stop. The timing should be set at 14* but that brings up another question. When setting the timing my timing light projected TWO marks about 4* apart so my roommate and I were confused as to which light to time the car to. One mark made the car idle like crap at 14* and the other it idled smoothly so we went with that. In the past two weeks there have been no detonation issues so I'm thinking the timing is more advanced than 14* and/or the IAT's were too hot along with the leaner A/F ratio from the Exhintake cam.

A Miata guy from the race today is bringing his timing light next weekend along with a Track Dog manifold blanket so we can double check the timing (maybe my light is faulty).

Skip to 00:50 see the spin. They had a slalom right into the timing lights/brake box that had you turning left out of the slalom and immediately slightly right to line up for the brake box while transitioning to the brakes. So what you see is me passing the timing lights sideways which infuriated some old man who demanded to know what I was thinking and clearly don't know how to drive. Turns out there would be 8-9 more spins in the same spot but I happened to be the first to do it. While walking the course I mentioned what a ham fisted finish set up it was and put money on it that people would spin there. Little did I know it'd be me.

Lavaine

The car is looking good Jewfro, and the exhaust sounds great. I agree with you that the entrance to the stop box was poorly designed. At least you didn't take out the timing lights. As for the loose rear end, if you haven't done so, try unbolting the rear sway bar from the end link on one side. A very common Miata 'mod' for autocross.
Have fun, and let us know how the next event goes.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Haha, watching autox videos makes it seem so slow and boring but it's so fun driving them. The car sounds great, it looks like your run was clean other than your finish.